Bicycle Speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by iMas70, Mar 4, 2013.

1. iMas70 macrumors 65816

The warm weather will be here in a few weeks so its almost time to do some bike riding. I'd like to get a speaker that's mounted on the bike. That's a little safer than wearing headphones (I wear one while riding) and I also don't want to worry about them falling off and into the wheel (yes, it's happened). Maybe a Bluetooth unit so I can keep the phone in my pocket or if the phone would be attached to it, something that will keep it safe. Also don't want to break the bank so price is a concern.

Thanks!

2. pingjintao macrumors newbie

Jambox has a bike mount ... and sounds pretty good too.

3. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

Don't contribute to noise pollution. Wear some earbuds.

4. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I wouldn't have it cranking so people can hear me coming from 2 blocks away.

I think a speaker is safer than hearing earbuds. I can't hear a car coming up behind me if I have two in. I sometimes wear one (right ear) but it's still safer to have none. Plus, I've had a set fall out, drop into the back wheel and get caught up in it and the chain.

5. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

What he said. Earbuds are not safe and playing your music out loud is rude and inconsiderate. Try option 3. Focus on your ride and leave the tunes at home.

Just my $0.02.

Steve

6. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Dramatic much?

I've had a speaker on my bike for years - and with the wind and street noise, i'm the only one that can normally hear it.

There's absolutely no reason to not have music. It's certainly not rude or inconsiderate - have you ever walked down a street? You can hear music coming from cars more often than you'll ever hear it coming from a bike.

8. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

If my iPhone 5 can drive two 10" MTX woofers, and people will be able to hear booommm, boooommm as I'm riding down the street, I'll keep that phone for life! :)

Nothing wrong with having a little music while you ride :)

Ok, time to check out that link.

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

10. norwegian wood macrumors regular

you are delusional if you think you are the only one that can hear it. you are the only one that can hear the wind noise. everyone else hears your music.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Sorry, I'll get off of your lawn now.

12. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

You must live in a place where there aren't a lot of cars or trucks....

But, we can agree to disagree. I'm afraid you were tortured by a music listening bike rider when you were little and we're bringing back bad memories.

13. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ordered that one. Will report back after I try it out and get a disturbing the peace ticket for this putting out more sound than a Harley with open pipes! ;)

14. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I went for a bike ride and tried out my speaker a little while ago. The thing works great!!! Plenty of sound without people hearing me coming from a 1/4 mile away. Makes my ride much more enjoyable and safer than having ear buds in.

15. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I guess leisure riding OK, but if going at any speed, the wind is gonna drown the music, then you have to turn it up, then you will be one of those annoying punk that ruins the neighborhood.

Regular earbuds should be fine, u can still hear the street. If concerned, just use one bud and let the other just dangle there.

My 0.02.

17. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

18. iMas70 thread starter macrumors 65816

I ran up to about 20 MPH for a little while and could still hear it without a problem. That was also on a road with cars going by. I used a single earbud last year but didn't like having one hanging plus I had at least one set fall into the back tire. Tried both buds before. The only thing that I could hear was music. I couldn't hear cars coming up behind me.

19. Grassso macrumors newbie

20. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I am planning on getting the Boombotix Rex. I wanted to get one when they did their kickstarter campaign but they took too long to answer my last minute questions and I missed the deadline.

It has play and skip controls, and it can even use siri.

21. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

There are links to storefronts at the bottom of the article.

22. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I just luv those bikers (choppers really), not only are their engines super-loud, the gizzer riders have got their radio turn up, like you can hear it a block away. :mad: What the point of being outside and bring your whole stereo with you?

23. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm surprised by all you people who can't STAND the thought of hearing someone else's music for the TWO SECONDS they are riding past you.

Seriously, get over yourself. I can understand if the music is being played outside your window for a long time, but bicycles are generally on the move. That music will likely be gone before you can even figure out where it came from.