Bicycle Watch??

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Hey everyone, my brother's birthday is coming up and I was wondering what y'all might suggest as far as a bicycle riding watch type thing? I remember I worked with a guy who ran a lot and he was looking at specific ones, even said they're better than Apple Watch at what his needs were. Is this the time for bicyclists?

I will say that he doesn't have an iPhone (Android) but thought it would be universal.

JT2002TJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2013
Why not just get a iphone/phone specific mount. He will have GPS, and the best tracking app of his choice.

Comment

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
Why not just get a iphone/phone specific mount. He will have GPS, and the best tracking app of his choice.
This could work depending on the type of riding. Not my personal choice for a few reasons like difficulty moving in and out of case, vibration, and water. The LCD is also very hard to see in bright sun plus it doesn’t stay on.

Comment

JT2002TJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2013
This could work depending on the type of riding. Not my personal choice for a few reasons like difficulty moving in and out of case, vibration, and water. The LCD is also very hard to see in bright sun plus it doesn’t stay on.
One would still have the same problem with a watch... I have a motorcycle, with a 5 (with cell service) mounted to it for GPS/Music, You can use your non dominant hand to cup over the screen when there is sun glare. Even though it is below the screen, I still have to cover it when the sun is behind me:

[/URL]

Comment

BorderingOn

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2016
BaseCamp Pro
My road bike has no suspension except high PSI tires and my mountain bike sometimes eats dirt. There are some cases that insulate from vibration and dirt / moisture but they are a huge pain to use. Motorcycle is at least a bit more hospitable. :)

Comment

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Thanks everyone. I may have to find something else. He normally just rides around town, for exercise though. But he's not doing any kind of long distance stuff, at least not now. He had mentioned a smart watch which is why I thought of this. Samsung has so many to choose from though. I'm assuming that would be the best since he has a Samsung phone. I wish he'd get on over to Apple...

Comment

JT2002TJ

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2013
Thanks everyone. I may have to find something else. He normally just rides around town, for exercise though. But he's not doing any kind of long distance stuff, at least not now. He had mentioned a smart watch which is why I thought of this. Samsung has so many to choose from though. I'm assuming that would be the best since he has a Samsung phone. I wish he'd get on over to Apple...
A buddy of mine has a smart watch loves, he is a Samsung guy. His watch has cell service so he doesn't need to carry his phone.

How about the Smasung Gear S3 with LTE?
http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-s3/?cid=ppc-

Comment

davidg4781

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
That's the one I was looking at. He's normally not a watch person but has talked about wanting a smart watch. Quite a bit to pay to have it end up in a drawer though.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.