Bicycle Watch??

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davidg4781, Aug 14, 2017.

1. davidg4781 macrumors 68010

Hey everyone, my brother's birthday is coming up and I was wondering what y'all might suggest as far as a bicycle riding watch type thing? I remember I worked with a guy who ran a lot and he was looking at specific ones, even said they're better than Apple Watch at what his needs were. Is this the time for bicyclists?

I will say that he doesn't have an iPhone (Android) but thought it would be universal.

2. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

IMO, watches are annoying while cycling. My preference is something like a Polar or Garmin GPS cycle computer.

3. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Why not just get a iphone/phone specific mount. He will have GPS, and the best tracking app of his choice.

4. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

This could work depending on the type of riding. Not my personal choice for a few reasons like difficulty moving in and out of case, vibration, and water. The LCD is also very hard to see in bright sun plus it doesn’t stay on.

5. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

One would still have the same problem with a watch... I have a motorcycle, with a 5 (with cell service) mounted to it for GPS/Music, You can use your non dominant hand to cup over the screen when there is sun glare. Even though it is below the screen, I still have to cover it when the sun is behind me:

[​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. BorderingOn macrumors 6502

My road bike has no suspension except high PSI tires and my mountain bike sometimes eats dirt. There are some cases that insulate from vibration and dirt / moisture but they are a huge pain to use. Motorcycle is at least a bit more hospitable. :)

7. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

Thanks everyone. I may have to find something else. He normally just rides around town, for exercise though. But he's not doing any kind of long distance stuff, at least not now. He had mentioned a smart watch which is why I thought of this. Samsung has so many to choose from though. I'm assuming that would be the best since he has a Samsung phone. I wish he'd get on over to Apple...

8. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

A buddy of mine has a smart watch loves, he is a Samsung guy. His watch has cell service so he doesn't need to carry his phone.

How about the Smasung Gear S3 with LTE?
    http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-s3/?cid=ppc-

9. davidg4781 thread starter macrumors 68010

That's the one I was looking at. He's normally not a watch person but has talked about wanting a smart watch. Quite a bit to pay to have it end up in a drawer though.