Biding One's Time

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hi res, Jan 17, 2011.

1. hi res macrumors member

hi res

So about a month ago I decided I wasn't going 1st gen, and I was going to wait until the 2nd gen iPad comes out. At first I was inundated with rumors regarding specs and such, but now the well is drying up. I try to sit and wait patiently until April but searching news feeds for the latest iPad news is getting old!! I need a better way to pass the time while I endlessly twiddle my thumbs in anticipation. How are all of you other 2nd gen hopefuls staying busy?

I really hope it comes before April!

2. tek210 macrumors regular

tek210

I hear ya. I held off on version 1 and have decided to jump on the next version, waiting is killing me. I wish apple would just make the announcement already. They love the drama.

3. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

I'm using my first gen while waiting for the second lol

4. Tones2 macrumors 65816

I can't imagine an announcement that precedes a ship date by more than a few weeks for a product that has an older version in existence. If they announced in early February for an April ship date (as is the rumor), it would kill sales of the old version for that 2 months. No way.

I'd say we either get a mid-March announcement for an early April ship date or an early Feb announcement for a late February ship date.

Tony

5. achie25 macrumors 6502

Count me in for iPad 2 as well. Hopefully we will hear about it fairly soon.

6. simply stunning macrumors regular

Well, I feel you, but I've been waiting since it came out. The only reason I'm waiting though is for a front facing camera. After all this time I still want one, but I can wait. I know that it isnt somthing I "need" so I just find other things to fill my time.

7. hi res thread starter macrumors member

hi res

well I guess I found one thing to help pass the time...checking replies to this thread...FML

8. xxTK421xx macrumors newbie

I'm really anxious for an iPad 2 announcement because I'm hoping for a price drop on the original model. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the new one will be great, but from what I hear the new features just aren't going to be enough to make me want to buy the 2nd generation.

I don't really care about a camera (or two) nor do I really see much value in Face Time. An increase in resolution would be nice, but the current iPad already looks fantastic and I have an HDTV for high res movies, etc.

The ONLY things that have me intrigued are the possibility of a micro sd slot or a usb slot (even this won't be enough to convince me to pay full price for the iPad 2) as well as an increase in memory. I'd hate to buy the old model only to find out that the new generation of apps only work on the iPad 2 because they're too advanced.

I'm really looking forward to picking up a refurbished iPad 1 but if there is any earth shattering news about the 2nd generation, it might convince me to shell out the extra cash.

For now, the only thing I'm debating is whether I should get a 3g or wi-fi only model. It all depends on the price. Hopefully they'll announce the iPad 2 soon and hopefully the price of the iPad 1 will be reduced soon after.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not buy an iPad now and then sell it once you get and iPad 2. Best of both worlds. Getting to use an iPad now and then get an iPad 2

10. ayale99 macrumors 6502

That's what I did. I'm selling my iPad to a friend when the new one comes out. At the end of the day, It will have cost me $100 to "rent" the iPad 1.

I was going to hold out for the iPad 2, but I caved in...and I'm sure glad I did. Buy one now. April is a long way away.

11. xxTK421xx macrumors newbie

I'm not in a huge rush to get my iPad. I don't mind waiting a couple months for the announcement. I assume the price drop won't be too far behind that, since no one is going to buy a first gen iPad knowing that the iPad 2 is on its way. Unless, of course, the price is reduced.

A refurbished 1st gen iPad after a price drop is going to be pretty cheap. That's what I'm waiting for.

Hopefully I don't get burned. It would suck if there were no drop at all.

12. redshift1 macrumors regular

Still deciding between the Xoom, ipad1 and ipad2 so 1 have 3x the sites to monitor.

Apple Store refurbs

Android Forums

Ipad2 news sites

This is worse than waiting for christmas

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm probably going to do this myself, I just haven't gotten to the apple store quite yet.

14. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

What you did is smart. You get to use the device for a relatively nominal fee.