Big BOOM early this morning.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iJohnHenry, Aug 10, 2008.

1. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This is crappy video, but the only one I could find that caught the big BOOM.

2. munson macrumors 6502

munson

Good lord. That was terrible, yet awesome. It's like witnessing a car crash. REALLY cool until you see it in person, then it's sort of shocking and terrifying.

3. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Whoa! That was an amazing explosion. I particularly like one video that shows it rather well, the shockwave was incredible... and the commentary and people screaming in the background gives a good sense of the atmosphere.

4. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So does running like Hell, which is what the locals did.

Too bad that one Fire-fighter has died, probably exertion caused heart attack, and several people are missing.

The time of day was a stroke of luck, for sure.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Woah. Somebody's not getting a bonus this month, I wonder who's to blame?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I think I caught this on BBC News at about 4am, was about to go to bed and it just popped but. Woke up just now thinking I had dreamt it.

Bloody hell. That's a biggun.

7. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Only one person still missing, the Dispatcher at the yard itself.

It is believed he was walking towards the sight of smoke when the first blast erupted.

I suspect the funeral will be closed-casket.

8. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It's the best I could do, without getting too ugly.

But it's probably true. :(

9. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

That is scary beyond all belief, does anybody know if there is any speculation as to what caused this blast? And thank God that the fire happened when it did, if that were the middle of the day then think of how many more people would have been there. Is the only confirmed death so far the fire-fighter, or have there since been more?

10. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Only him, confirmed, but it doesn't look good for the yard Dispatcher (see post #9).

11. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

While I didn't hear the explosion, my sister-in-law's house is about 4kms (as the crow flies... basically Bathurst and Glencarin) from the depot. She said the big blast was strong enough to shake their house, and rattled the windows. The kids were a little shaken up :( but everybody is ok.

I used to live on Hawksdale Rd. which is probably around 750m from the blast site. I tried to call my old landlady (sweet little Italian woman), but couldn't get a hold of her (probably evacuated before I called). I'm sure she's ok, as there were very few injuries reported but I can't help worry a little. I'll try calling again tonight, she might need some help cleaning up a bit.

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I had something very similar to that happen just a couple miles from my house about 5 years ago. It was a propane place in an industrial area just across the highway from a residential area. It blew sky-high and they closed the highway and evacuated some homes. Luckily nobody was killed. I think it was ruled accidental and the company rebuilt a bigger facility on the same spot, much to the dismay of the locals.

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Amazing that more weren't killed. The residential area is way too close to a fuel depot. Not hard to see how 12K people had a bad day.

Attached Files:

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow.......this is making me really homesick. ;)

Glad it wasn't a complete disaster, with hundreds dead. Think "glass is half-full".

15. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

I have a propane tank out back that's half full. Now wishing it was half empty.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sad.

Good thing it was early.

Doesn't sound too good for him.

Unfortunately, this is true of many built up areas.

Airport goes into a rural area. Infrastructure is created. Homes begin encroaching on airport. Homeowners complain about airport as if there were their first. Not sure if this is the case here, but seen it plenty of times before. Which is why we see fuel depots so close to housing. Unfortunately. Especially at times like this.

17. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Reminds me of that big 'un we had over here a couple of years back. UKs biggest explosion at an oil refinery or something. That thing was fecking HHUUUUGGGGEEEEE!!!!!

Its kind of scary if you think about it. The potential size of the explosions from facilities like this. You happily go about living near by and are never really conscious of the potential danger.

18. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

We have this in Cleveland - the homowners around the airport are literally strangling the city by fighting airport expansion - as a result we can't heavyweight or long-range jets. So selfish.

19. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well Downsview has a different kind of history I guess, it was a Canadian Forces Base for the longest time but was recently (~ 10 yrs ago) mothballed and different companies moved in. The airport (as in planes coming and going) is actually pretty quiet, but now has lots of industry around it. I really don't know how many people were aware of the propane depot there, on the west side of Murray St there was a lot of construction trucks, I biked around those streets all the time and never knew it existed.

20. Pixellated macrumors 65816

It was in Hemel-heampstead, i was about 40 miles away and heard it :eek:

21. iJohnHenry thread starter macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Looking forward, if I can say that, to an aerial picture of the aftermath.

22. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Here's a pic from the graveyard, just a little west of the explosion site... lucky there weren't any homes there! Too bad about the gravestones, but hopefully they can be put back upright/fixed with out too much expense.
    From CP24
    [​IMG]