Big bootcamp problem, OS X gone! help appreciated

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by glitch2885, Jan 27, 2010.

1. glitch2885 macrumors newbie

Hey

This is the second time this has happened, I partitioned the drive in bootcamp with the recommended 32GB partition, fine, installed windows, fine, reboot, can only boot into windows! OS X seemed to have vanished!

As i said this is the second time this has happened, first when i tried to install XP and now it's happened with Vista. It's like it's overwriting OS X.

Help appreciated

Thanks

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Are you certain that you chose the right partition during Windows setup? It sounds to me like you formatted the OS X partition during the Windows installation.

3. glitch2885 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think i know what the problem was now, i've been using restore cd's from my old pc's, stupid question but do i need just straight OS cd's?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, as the Apple documentation shows you need a full retail OS CD. Others (like OEM or upgrade editions) can be made to work, but as you can see for yourself, not without risk. The worst possible thing to try is any disc like a restore disc that was heavily customized to another specific system.

B