Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Hi,

So I think I'm in big trouble here. Im running iMac with bootcamp windows 7 installed. I use this computer on the windows side about 99% of the time and have a ton of data stored in there that hasn't been backed up.

I was surfing the Internet the other day on wondows and all of a sudden it shuts off and rebooted only to give me this message "no bootable device, insert disk and press any key. " with a black screen of course.

I've searched this many times and couldn't find this particular issue, many people say hit the option key on the gong and yes it does get me into the Mac os but there isn't an option to start windows. I even went in Mac settings to tell it to reboot up windows but it just gets me to the black screen.

Ive been using windows 7 on this Mac for over a year with no issues and the searches I found were people getting this error message when installing. It just hit me out of no where.

I also inserted the disk, original windows 7 CD but it just tries to get me to re install a new copy. I did the system restore in the menu but after that it just kept rebooting itself to the black screen.

Anyone please chime in. I'm in great trouble and I have to get my data out,. Did it all of a sudden just delete my windows?

Pease help.

MarukoM

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
I once had a similar situation occur to me. After booting up into OS X, located the Boot Camp drive on Finder, and manually copied/transferred all my important data (downloads, files, etc) unto a safe location on my OS X partition or to an external hard drive. I then proceeded to just completely wipe out Windows and install it again brand new. For certain third party applications whose data you want to save, use Google to find out where exactly the saved data is stored. As long as you can boot into OS X your data can be saved in my opinion.

The one time that Windows 7 appeared black to me was when Windows 7 wasn't recognizing the graphics card in the iMac or something. It occurred right after I finished installing Win 7 Boot Camp on my 27 inch late 2009 iMac. Anyway the solution for that is http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3173

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Thanks for the replies. So basically there's no way I can actually get back into my windows again?

I fear that I may not remember all the files I have and where and what folders they were saved in.

MarukoM

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2012
Thanks for the replies. So basically there's no way I can actually get back into my windows again?

I fear that I may not remember all the files I have and where and what folders they were saved in.

Are you absolutely certain that reinstalling Windows means having to lose your data? As in does it warn you that it will delete all your previous data and such? I once messed around with some files in Explorer and corrupted my Windows parition, I remember pressing some keys to go to a place where I was given the option to "Repair" Windows. I pressed it and was luckily able to repair itself from the corruption.

But yeah honestly try transferring your files over to an external HD or something before it potentially gets worse.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

richpuer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2010
Are you absolutely certain that reinstalling Windows means having to lose your data? As in does it warn you that it will delete all your previous data and such? I once messed around with some files in Explorer and corrupted my Windows parition, I remember pressing some keys to go to a place where I was given the option to "Repair" Windows. I pressed it and was luckily able to repair itself from the corruption.

But yeah honestly try transferring your files over to an external HD or something before it potentially gets worse.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ss/windows-7-startup-repair.htm

I've no idea but I put the windows disk in as prompted and hit the repair option. Didn't work. Then hit system restore point option. It said was restored successfully but and then proceeded to reboot the computer only to get back to the black screen. It was circles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.