Big Brother Big Brother

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jayman34187, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Jayman34187 macrumors regular

Oh Steve, thank you for Apple's 'Unauthorized users' patent... I hope this goes through and thanks for looking out for us. I have a jailbreak on my phone and it's legal, but save me from myself Steve... Ever since I Jailbroke my phone the experience has been degraded significantly and you want to have the power to brick my phone legally for such a degraded experience I am having. And thanks for wanting to violate my privacy and probably breaking some laws somewhere in there to :)

Isn't AT&T partners with Apple? You go to AT&T website you can see Apples contact on it :) and on Apples website you can see AT&T contact on it. These two are very close business partners. That is nice, you brick someones phone and they can no longer use the AT&T services on it :( makes ya think AT&T needs better friends huh? LOL If Apple brick my phone I will hold AT&T responsible for it. I think the Cellphone makers should keep making phones and not worry about what services/or programs are on my phone...

get a life Apple, dig it?

2. Jayman34187 thread starter macrumors regular

And if Jailbreaking voids warranty, or messes up the phone that is on us not you... Remember once purchased the phone is no longer yours. See this is how it works the consumer gives you money and in exchange you give them the product, the money I spent is no longer mine as the phone is no longer yours. You say the OS is yours? Yes it is yours but now it's mine. You own the right to the OS, I own the right to my phone so the OS on my device is mine now, but I don't own the rights to it. I'm not selling the OS so I am good, I am just adding programs to the hardware, the hardware is mine :) and so is the OS and everything wahahahaha

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Your point being? You sure have the right to jailbreak, as does everyone, and Apple also has the right to deny service if said device has been jailbroken. As you said, the OS is theirs and the hardware was designed by them, so why should they waste resources to service a product whose issues may be caused by programs that are not approved to work with their OS?

Troll.

4. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

No reason to call the OP a Troll just because he's voicing his frustration with Apple/AT&T!
    Yes, the OP will get some feedback from both camps, but this is a legitimate cause and effect gripe. I tested the water of JB and it was a good experience for me. I used an app that tricked my phone in thinking it was on Wi-Fi all the time. I also used an app that let me sync wirelessly. What’s wrong with those apps? Nothing! It’s a resource that’s untapped. They will find a way to make money off of these types of productive apps. Just not yet! They will eventually make it in future iOS releases.
    Apple made it clear to all of us about changing their software. They will not warrant any fix on issues caused by programs that are not approved to work with their OS.
    In knowing this, I should have the final say-so if I want to JB my phone. I know if I brick the phone, it’s on me to pay the price. I do however feel that this type of control apple plans to use is very unnecessary

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

OP, put together 6 or 7 more posts about the same length and we can call it your manifesto.

6. Jayman34187 thread starter macrumors regular

No I don't think apple does have the right to turn my phone off if I decide to jailbreak. If they had that right they would be doing it not begging for a patent to do so. They are trying to get this done with all their power. We do have laws thank god. You can't just invade someones privacy because you want to see what they are up to and making sure nothing legal is being done like jailbreaking

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You have NO idea what a patent is then.

- Just because they have a patent on it doesn't mean they will do it.

- Not having the patent approved doesn't mean they can't already do it.

A patent doesn't give anyone legal authority to do what's described in the patent. All it does is establish Apple as the inventor of that specific procedure. And if say, Google wanted to use the same procedure they'd have to pay a license fee to Apple to do it.

Current rulings only state that you can't be prosecuted for jailbreaking. But then, Apple never tried to have anyone prosecuted for that anyway...

But nothing in current law says they can't brick phones and require a re-install of factory software, either. The law is currently silent on that.

If Apple wanted to do it, they already would have. They don't need a patent to do it today.

But they aren't doing it, and haven't since jailbreaking began. So relax.

On the other hand, if it makes you feel better to paint yourself the rebel that's being victimized by Apple, maaaaaaaaaaaan, then feel free.

Oh by the way, at the risk of further deflating your victim status: the actual patent doesn't specify that a remote lock is to be used for jailbreak users only. Nor does it even say that the remote lock is to be used on iPhones that are in possession of the people who actually bought their iPhones, jailbroken or not. It specifies a method for detecting "unauthorized" users of the hardware. You know, like people who may have stolen someone's iPhone? And if you read further, it talks about methods for analyzing the fact that behaviors of the user have changed, suggested a different person - someone who may have physically stolen someone else's iPhone, for instance - is doing things to wipe out his or her trail. Like, swapping SIMs. Or repeatedly entering the wrong passcode and then wiping the phone. Or jailbreaking and unlocking, when the previous owner never did either of those things before.

But there are some who have read into this and have decided to spread FUD by telling others that the patent ONLY targets jailbreakers. It doesn't.

Anyone who's actually READ the patent application knows this... you DID read the patent application, right?

8. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

9. shandyman Suspended

actually you do not own the OS, you own a licence to use the OS. there's a difference. They still own the OS. and actually by jailbreaking you're altering the code for the OS as well as adding programs to it. just thought would clear those facts up that you got wrong...

also the patent is nothing new, guess what, you try using a pirate version of windows and M$ locks up the OS if they detect you're using a pirated one, so pretty much same thing....

10. Jayman34187 thread starter macrumors regular

Wasn't aware of a pirated version of the iPhone OS? My version on my phone is from Apple. I do have windows vista for my pc and it's not a pirated version either.. I can decide what I can and can't do on my windows PC though. I can even download apple software on my pc I don't think Microsoft cares.

With all the Legal trouble apple been in, I don't think they want to start bricking phones like they are half nuts.

And to the other guy... So if I don't drive my GM vehicle the way GM likes they can use onstar to shut my car down? Or if I let my mother borrow my car they can say it's not authorized... LOL

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I disagree.

If Apple sneezes, they patent it. Do you have any other proof that they're going to do this? I'd say the recent legal rulings that say jailbreaking is legal proves they're probably NOT going to waste their time building something that'd be illegal for them to use.

So what's your proof besides a patent? That's meaningless. Anything else?

12. Jayman34187 thread starter macrumors regular

Proof? Well let's see apple wants a patent to brick your device if you jailbreak...in otherwards they want to brick jailbroken iPhones. Is the patent enough? Well it's a step in the right direction for apple. They can brick your phone now if they wanted. They can do whatever they want, but it will come back and bite em in the ass and they know that. They are just trying to find some loop hole or slowly worm their way in like nobody will notice to have it their way.

13. shandyman Suspended

you totally missed the point, jailbreaking is modifying the existing OS, which you aren't covered to do in the licence, this is similar to having a pirated version of windows, it's a modification to the coding of the OS. you're either just being ignorant or you just want to rant.

PLUS IT'S A PATENT. does not actually mean they are going to use it. until then your ranting about pie in the sky stuff.

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

How do you propose they get around the legal ramifications of doing that?

I'd think you'd have figured that out before starting this post. I don't have any ideas so please, share what you think.

15. shandyman Suspended

did you actually READ his post and understand it??? they own the idea of the process, they've not actually started to make it so right now, they can't follow it through. They patent any idea they have relating to the device, that is it! go look at the many patents that have been reported and then see how many have actually been done before you start screaming the sky is falling.

16. Jayman34187 thread starter macrumors regular

So you believe apple should be able to tell you what you can and can't do on your phone?

Do you think it's ok to tap into your phone and take pictures of you, record your voice, and record your heartbeat. If you do that's a little creepy

17. Jayman34187 thread starter macrumors regular

Maybe you can't read.. I said apple would like to , I never said they will. They won't because it would put them in court again and will lose again. The fact apple would like to invade peoples privacy and take control like they want is the part I don't like.. And again not saying they will I'm saying they would like to.

So they want to patent the idea of breaking laws and violating your privacy and having complete control over your life.. Already knew they wanted all this. Glad they want a patent for it lol

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Just use a tin foil case and all will be well.

19. benoitgphoto macrumors 6502

That's a funny statement here...reminds me what my best friend uses to say : "I got an iPod Touch and just jailbroke it...now it's mine and not Apple anymore. Your iPhone is still Apple property so jailbreak it and it's gonna be yours."

Well...I've never been tempted by jailbreaking and I have never considered it also for the simple reason that I like using Apple ecosystem. Yes this is more closed system and you must buy apps through Apps store but with the vast majority of apps under 5$ (most of them under 2$) I don't consider that this is being a rip off. Also, I never considered that I did not own my iPhone and using the apps approved by Apple has some advantages (quality control, stability, spam free, instant access to OS updates, etc etc) which add up to be more interesting than jailbreak and pirating about worth of 100$ apps imo. I can do whatever I want to do with my iPhone as long as it is within Apple ecosystem and I am absolutely good about it. Here is an example of a non controlled open apps environment and the damages it can do :

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1009743

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I recommend you read the actual patent itself and not the media's interpretation of it...
    Also there's an apple kill switch on the devices that was before this patent....

21. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Complete control over my life is just a biiiiit of an exaggeration. A conspiracy theory forum may better receive your concerns.

Or, you know, to show Apple your displeasure with their mobile terrorism you can get rid of the phone. They'll never be able to find you on Android.

22. Meyvn macrumors 6502

Nope, nope, nope. Over the years Apple has patented (and attempted to patent) numerous things they've not actually used, sometimes because they were considering using them, other times to throw people off the scent from what they were *actually* doing. Again, they can do it now if they want to; they have the capability, obviously, to some extent, if they're trying to patent it; patents ONLY affect the rights to who owns the tech. They can already wipe your phone, for example; they offer that service to MobileMe subscribers whose phones get lost or stolen.

Additionally, there's a difference between ruling that jailbreaking is legal and ruling that attempts by Apple to stop it are illegal.