Big change just made, need some advice.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Englewoodcowboy, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Englewoodcowboy macrumors newbie

Hello. I am new to this forum and just made a big change at my business. While I have been using Apple products for a few years and loving them (iPad, iPhone, nano pod) I decided this past week with some PC issues to finally update my office. I have PC's ranging from 3 years old, 11 years and 15 year ols machines running OS from Windows 7 home to Visto Ultimate 64. I originally looked at PC's just as a natural progression until I stumbled upon Windows 8 and hated everything about it. I figured if I were to buy new machines, they had to all be the same OS and be at the leading edge of tech enough to last another 10 years. I was looking at the Dell XPS 27 touch as it is built best for Windows 8 per MS and then it hit me. If I have to learn another OS, and I love the reliability of my apple products way better than their Windows based counterparts I have had in the past why not check out Apple. The price for everything I am buying was not much more than the same comparable quote from Dell. The only concern I have is one add on for my accounting software (Quick Books) is not Apple compliant with no future known compliant date. To overcome this I will be running Parallels with Windows 7 Home Premium on two of my iMacs to basically run Quick Books and the connector I need. I have read and plan on using an antivirus such as MS Essentials on the windows side but am concerned about my Apple side of things. Sorry for the long explanation here but I am looking for tips, advice and specifically things I should purchase and things I should not. I am also going to run MS Office 360 on the Apple side on all 3 of my new iMacs. My main iMac will be the 27" with the Fusion Drive and 32 MB of Ram and will be running Parallels, Windows 7 Home and Quick Books 2013. My secretary will be on a 21.5 iMac with 16MB of Ram and will also be running Parallels, Windows 7 Home, Quick Books 2013 and networked into my computer for QB file access. My Dispatcher will be on a base 27" iMac with 16MB of Ram. 90% of my necessary software is all cloud based. If you need more detail etc. please ask and I will get it posted.

2. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Umm....what specifically is your question(s)?

I don't run a setup like you are describing, but all that RAM sounds like overkill for the types of software you're going to be using.

Anyway, welcome to the Mac!

3. Englewoodcowboy thread starter macrumors newbie

The RAM on my computer may be a slight overkill but it was the same price to get 16MB from Apple as it was to get 32MB from Crutial. I am taking the 8MB that comes in my iMac 27 and adding it to the other iMac 27. The iMac 21.5 is non upgradeable so I am looking for long term. With my last purchase I started with 2MB in my PC when that was alot and have now maxed my old PC at 8MB and with running 5 cloud apps at once all day long it eats about 75% of my RAM. M question is more along the lines of suggestions, do's dont's what to look out for when doing what I am doing etc. Pros and cons to MS Office 360 on MAC vs. running it on the Windows side etc. This is a big step to go from one very familiar platform to something completely different. I am hoping it is as intuitive as learning my iPhone was, if so I should be a happy camper for a long time to come. I am just concerned with my potential office personnel's learning curve.