Big connection problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vix2000, Nov 28, 2010.

1. vix2000 macrumors regular

Hi I am having big problems holding connection on my new macbook air. It loses connection every few minutes. My broad band is from sky. To be honest it is unusable. My pc still connects ok in the same position as the mac. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.

2. mrbash macrumors 6502

There are a few things you should check. What is your signal strength? Are you connecting to the correct AP? What do the logs on your AP show?

There is also the possibility that you have a defective unit, but you should first check the other items.

3. vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks. I only got the mac yesterday and have no idea where to find anything. Could you tell me where I go to check these please?

4. mrbash macrumors 6502

You can tell the signal strength from the number of arcs appearing in the top right of your screen (it should be slightly beside the current time). The more arcs the stronger your wifi signal.

You can also check your AP by clicking on the icon described above. It should then tell you which AP you are using.

To get the logs from your AP, you will probably have to consult the documentation for your AP. But most APs have some sort of web interface you can go to.

5. vix2000, Nov 29, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010

vix2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I'm wondering if its a distance problem. I have full signal and correct network ticked. It might be ok for hours or minutes but then I can't get it back without going into the hall nextto the router. Once its on again its fine until it goes again. I'm only 6/7 m from the router with one door inbetween, and my old laptop connects fine. It does drop ocassionally but I can get it back on usually. I have downloaded the airlock widget but don't really know what I'm looking for on it.