Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nintendolinky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Hello, my wife has had her macbook for nearly a year, bought in June 2008. However it has gradually been disintegrating, and there is now a fairly large crack on the front of the computer, as can be seen in the pictures below. Im still covered under limited warranty, will Apple replace the top layer, or will it incur a charge. Thanks for all help.
3552594746_3215ea790c.jpg

3551776103_f82101434f.jpg

Nintendolinky

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Thanks for that, but that seems to be about the bottom casing, and not the casing of the trackpad, keyboard area, where the crack has occurred. I live pretty far from the local apple store, so i would rather be positive it can be fixed, rather than driving there for them to say no. In people's opinions do you think they would replace the case.

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
Thanks for that, but that seems to be about the bottom casing, and not the casing of the trackpad, keyboard area, where the crack has occurred. I live pretty far from the local apple store, so i would rather be positive it can be fixed, rather than driving there for them to say no. In people's opinions do you think they would replace the case.

Apple owned up to the fact that cracks in the palmrest area are a manufacturing fault, so yes, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of them replacing it for you.

MedHead

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland
This seems to be a really common fault with the WhiteBook, from what I've read on the forums its one which apple willingly acknowledge and will replace even out of warranty. Give apple customer support an ring and they'll sort it out for you. As far as i know they can arrange pick up from your home.

MedHead

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2009
Cork, Ireland
This seems to be a really common fault with the WhiteBook, from what I've read on the forums its one which apple willingly acknowledge and will replace even out of warranty. Give apple customer support an ring and they'll sort it out for you. As far as i know they can arrange pick up from your home to avoid (further) inconvenience.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata

Call Apple, they'll know more about what they'll do than we will.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Apple owned up to the fact that cracks in the palmrest area are a manufacturing fault, so yes, I'd say you have a pretty good chance of them replacing it for you.

It's some of the stupidest design in the history of stupid designs.

A very overzealous magnet is placed right behind a bump that slams shut at an angle each time you close the computer.

It's like a hammer.

When I do LCD replacements, I show people that if I drop my screwdriver next to the screen, it never reaches the keyboard. It gets stuck at the magnet, and this is a heavier screwdriver.

Make apple replace it for you. Worst case scenario, if they do not, the part is $35 on ebay, and the install is not difficult. Use the iFixit guide(this is one of the few that they do well), and use an icetray to store your screws.

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Answer: Apple will fix it, free-of-charge, regardless if you're in or out of warranty.

Either take it to an Apple Store or call Apple Technical Support (1-800-275-2273) and they'll replace the top case for you.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
Before doing that ask yourself if it is worth the time knowing it will happen again in a matter of months. It is designed like a hammer, everytime you close your machine you're one step closer to the top case cracking.

A real fix would have been to put a new bezel without the indent on macbooks that get the new top case, this would ensure that it doesn't happen again.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Call AppleCare; they'll send you a box; it will get back to your about a day or so. They're pretty fast about these repairs.

Stellapp

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009
Hi there, I am a new member. But I have to tell you guys that your information is so helpful! I've been looking for the reason why the lid's 2 "teeth" can cause such big cracks on the palm-rest area???... Thanks a lot! Does anybody know that Apple Canada will replace the top case for free too? I bought my MB at Future Shop on July/5/08. Whom should I talk to? Apple Canada or Future Shop? Thank you very much! :)

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I can confirm that Apple are replacing the top case for free even out of warranty. My 2 1/2 year old Macbook got a new top and bottom case last week due to the cracking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.