Big Decision to make!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ecelle, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Ecelle macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, I am a Mac newbie and am looking at purchasing either a 15" i7 Macbook pro, or a 27" i7 iMac. Im actually going to start attending an online art school which requires there students to use the 15" i7 Macbook Pro. You can opt out of the purchase of the Macbook pro, but then if there are any problems with compatability with the required software it will the sole responsibility of the student, not the school.I do not forsee(again I may or could be totally wrong) any issues of compatability, as they should work for either platform the same.

I was actually looking instead of purchasing the iMac for the larger screen, and correct me if I'm wrong, a more powerful machine. I do not need portability, as this is an online school and I will be doing my work from home.I was also considering getting the Macbook pro and then purchasing an external monitor for more screen real estate, but whats the point of having that setup when the Macbook is never going to leave my house anyway?Also, I could always purchase a 13" Macbook pro later on if i really do need the portability.

I know there may be a possible refresh next month, but my start date is on the Feb.28th and time is running out for me to buy.Price for both are about the same so that really doesnt matter. Im posting here to get some opinions from more seasoned Mac owners then myself being a total Mac newb. I also want to make sure that the iMac performance wise will better than or equal to the Macbook pro, and will be completely compatible with the required software and technology.Thanks for any advice!

required software:

■MobileMe Individual
    ■Microsoft Office Mac 2011 Media Set
    ■Final Cut Studio
    ■Microsoft Windows 7
    ■Adobe Master Suite CS5
    ■Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite: Maya, 3dsMax, Softimage, Motionbuilder, Mudbox & Sketchbook Pro
    ■The Foundry Nuke
    ■Pixologic Zbrush 4 for Mac
    ■Wacom Intuos4 5x8 Tablet
    ■Canon LIDE 100 flatbed scanner

BTW both iMac and Macbook pro are there standard i7 versions

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The quad core i7 is blazing fast. Much faster than any laptop. I would go with that if the computer is never going to leave your house. Are you going to bootcamp windows or use fusion or parallels?

Some tips for a new mac user:

Be sure to get Apple Care.
    Don't buy or use an antivirus
    Wait for GGJstudios to post the guide lol

3. jdsmoooth macrumors member

I have a Quad Core i7 iMac with 8GB of RAM and the stock 7200RPM Drive. It's extremely fast. You can't go wrong with this purchase if you don't need the portability of a MacBook Pro.

If you are going to go with an additional 4GB of RAM .... Do it yourself. It's easy and it's much cheaper.