Big Decision

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dan9311, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Dan9311 macrumors newbie

Dan9311

Hello everyone,

I might be new to this forum but i have a good question. I was looking at the Imacs, but i'm not sure when to buy one because Apple makes new computers very often. My other quesiton is, what would you reccomend for a new mac user? I need a good graphic design program and Hardcore Video editing. Thanks for the help! :D

-Dan9311-

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Whats your budget?

Graphic design and hardcore video editing? I'm not sure how you define hardcore video editing, but it sounds like you need the Mac Pro not an iMac. Not sure if the Mac Pro is out of your budget, but an iMac wont cut it. Well it might, again I'm not sure on your definition of hard core, what sort of stuff are you doing?

Do you want recommendations on software as well? Final Cut Studio is the only program to use when it comes to video editing.

3. savesteve macrumors newbie

Well as far as the Apple product cycle goes, I'd point you : http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ for starters.

And I'm sure you'll get the standard fair as far as video/graphic editing. There are sub-forums devoted to those topics, you should check them out.

I found a TON of helpful info on these forums both before and after I bought my first Mac.

Good luck.

4. Dan9311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dan9311

When i mean "hardcore" video editing. I mean that their is advanced video editing class i am taking. MY laptop can not take it. My Budget is $5,000-$6,000. Yes, i would also like some recommendations with software.

Thanks,

-Dan-

5. Dan9311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dan9311

Thanks for you're help. But the buyers guide does not say when the Imac will update.

6. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

7. Dan9311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dan9311

What kind of software?

I have herd that the Mac is user friendly, but how long does it take to learn to use it? Could you recommend some software ?

Thanks,
    -Dan-

8. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

The guide doesn't guarantee accuracy anyway, but there are 44 days until the average cycle is complete.

For anything more than moderate video editing you'd be best with a Mac Pro in my opinion. Happy decision making, good luck.

9. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

You'll get used to in less than a month. I can recommend programs for your daily use though, because I don't do any video editing at all.

10. Dan9311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dan9311

Okay, Thanks. What kind of software would you recommend ?

11. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

Apple's own video editing software Final Cut would be ideal for video and then there's a choice between Photoshop and Aperture. There are others out there, but those three stand out from my experience.

12. Dan9311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dan9311

How much extra are each of those? (sorry for so many questions, but i am new to Macs and i can't wait to buy my own.)

13. Dan9311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dan9311

14. jstanier macrumors regular

jstanier

Mac Pro, or maybe one of the new MacBook Pros, assuming they get a significant hardware upgrade!

15. nick9191 macrumors 68040

For software you want Final Cut Express or Final Cut Studio depending on budget.

16. Dan9311 thread starter macrumors newbie

Dan9311

Thanks, When is the new update coming out?

17. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MacBook Pro will be updated on October 14th and the Mac Pro definitely in January, as always. If you're going Mac Pro and can hold until January for your purchase, then do so, because it is rumored they get new processors (Nehalem) which will take the piss out of the current one.

As for editing software:

Final Cut is a good choice, but there is also Avid Media Composer, which is quite older (meaning it exist since the end of the eighties - Final Cut was born in 1997/8) and more mature in some aspects. The current version Media Composer 3.0 is quite good, supports a lot and so on.
    Maybe you can get a good deal on both with a student discount.

It's almost always better to know more than one editing environment.

18. redmeister macrumors 6502

with the budget i'd say mac pro. but then again they haven't been updated for a while so they could be due sometime in the next year? who knows though, it's all guessing at this point.

19. ChrisA macrumors G4

Hardcore? Does that mean you work at in full time? What format?

Start with Apple's Final Cut Express. Later if you need to you can upgrade to Final Cut Studio and not loose much. Your training with FCE will cary over to FCP too.

Graphic Design. The "standard" s the Adobe Suite. No reason to get anything else.

Why an iMac? "hardcore video editing" Kind of means high end hardware.

Yes Apple might come out with something new but if you need a computer now buy a computer now.

20. ChrisA macrumors G4

He said "Graphic Arts" not "photography". Aperture is purely a photographic application and is next to useless for most graphic arts work. It's pretty usful if you are a high volume photographer and you need to move a few hundred images off the camera and sort, rank and process them all quickly.