Big Difference between MBP with 4gb and 8gb?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by `teamMAC, Aug 1, 2011.

1. `teamMAC macrumors newbie

I'm sure a post like this has been added but I couldn't find it so sorry in advance. Lol.

So I'll be purchasing a MBP 13" this week some time for college. I did want to know before I purchased if there was a drastic change in the overall computer performance if you have an 8 gb opposed to 4. No, I'm not going to school for any graphic degree but I have the money to spend on more gb's. I figure if 8 gb's will make it perform better, I might as well. Please let me know what you think.

=)

2. mkflyfish macrumors member

mkflyfish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

8 really helps, but I'd get the higher model 13 first. The 8gb upgrade from crucial or owc is only about 100 bucks or so.

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Buy the 4GB, then buy an 8GB kit from Newegg.com. It's usually around $50 for the 8GB kit and works flawlessly. Also, don't get the 13" i7 model. The large price difference isn't worth the small increase in CPU power.

4. `teamMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm okay. I am straddling the fence on whether to get
    the i5 or the i7 now. Lol. Anymore opinions?

5. sumone macrumors regular

I agree with this recommendation.

6. pizzafootbal macrumors member

Same here, while the i7 will give you around 1000 more points on geekbench, $300 is alot for just that and a slightly larger HDD. If you need more power, go for the 15 inch, or wait for the next refresh, but that probably won't be in time for school

7. `teamMAC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you everyone. I guess for now I'll work with 4.
    =)