BIG difference between Siri and Google Now

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by kat.hayes, Dec 3, 2012.

1. kat.hayes macrumors 6502a

I've recently switched to a Note2 from a 4S. So far I'm liking it, however, I just found a big difference between Siri and Google Now. I use to use Siri in the car to send emails and texts. S Voice does not send emails, and Google Voice does not take you from one text field to another to make it truly hands/eyes free after activating it by long pressing the home button. It is basically unusable for sending messages while driving because after you enter a subject you have to click on the body and press the mic icon again to re-enable voice. Am I missing something? Hopefully, I am because I'm totally bummed....

2. mikegasol macrumors member

You can just say "send text message to (name)" and then speak your message. You have to confirm it by tapping send message after it though. Try downlaoding speaktoit assistant or utter for better options.

3. Mikhailov macrumors regular

This was a reason I did not keep my S3 over the summer. Siri was much better in the car. Nowadays, I find myself using Siri less and less in the car except for "call soandso." S-Voice failed in even that regard but Google Now seems like it handles basic tasks much easier. Making me think of a Note 2.

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

My understanding is if you wait it'll automatically send. Isn't there a timer that counts down?

5. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Ignoring this, Google Now is lightyears better than Siri, in terms of speed and understanding exactly what you say to it.

6. strausd macrumors 68030

Here is a little snippet from one of my earlier posts:

And from another post in the same thread after multiple responses:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1498227&page=1

So yeah, I am in the same boat as you. Google Now is not a true Siri competitor as it is not truly hands free. No easy one-step process to make it start. And because of that, it requires you to take your eyes off the road to tap on the screen on a tiny microphone icon. Definitely not ideal.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

agreed about the speed and recognition. I have to talk to siri like a child. Google Now just has issues with setting reminders, alarms or events in the future...which is mostly what I use siri for. Once that is fixed, it is hands down better.

8. strausd macrumors 68030

I have only noticed a timer for some things. For example, asking for directions, there will be a timer. After like 5 seconds or so, it will then pull up directions in the navigation app. However, with something like sending a text message, there was no timer. It requires touch input and there is absolutely no way to use voice input to send a text. Haven't tried an email though, but I am guessing it works the same way as sending a text.

----------

Oh man yes! This is so annoying. I just want my phone to simply remind me about something tomorrow at noon, is that so difficult?!?

9. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Really? I don't use Google Now that often, as you can see. That's bizarre why Google would exclude the count down timer on certain commands. Definitely something they should add to everything that's applicable.

10. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is an app that allows you to map any app to the home button so googl3 now could be opened
    By pressing the home button. No rooting required. Ill find it and post back here. However, that does not taken care of the other issues.

QUOTE=strausd;16423544]Here is a little snippet from one of my earlier posts:

And from another post in the same thread after multiple responses:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1498227&page=1

So yeah, I am in the same boat as you. Google Now is not a true Siri competitor as it is not truly hands free. No easy one-step process to make it start. And because of that, it requires you to take your eyes off the road to tap on the screen on a tiny microphone icon. Definitely not ideal.[/QUOTE]

11. aced411 macrumors 6502

The biggest difference is Siri can carry a conversation (sort of) and Google Now can actually understand what the hell you're saying

12. cynics macrumors G3

I actually prefer Siri in nearly every aspect. Both understand me about the same. Only thing I can fault Siri on is it uses data for everything. Plenty of times it would write what I've saying because of a week data connection.

13. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

14. cynics macrumors G3

I just downloaded it. Its very slick, it can do pretty much anything you can do manually...

15. kat.hayes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks everyone for the great info!

One other thing about Google Now that I really dislike, how do I get rid of the ads that pop up when I'm using google now? I'm referring to the advertisement that shows up in the lower section of the screen. Can this be done?

16. hyteckit Guest

I'm started to notice ads in Google maps too on my Note 2.

Note sure if there is a way to turn it off.

17. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

This is why I prefer Google Now... using Siri is like having to have a conversation with a person that isn't real. Google Now is all about straight commands and is more practical in my opinion. I don't like how Siri tries to find info on what I tell it and if it can't generate a custom report it says would you like me to search the web... Google Now does this by default. I don't know if you can tell Siri to google something? Or maybe just search the web for...? Even if it does, I still prefer just saying what it is I'm looking for like .. Jamba Juice . and have it open google with a Places tab (Maps) at the bottom of the screen.

18. Beeplance macrumors 65816

Beeplance

I've always hear people saying Google Now is supposedly better than Siri in many ways, the most major of it being the response time taken. Maybe there'll be future updates for it, but we'l see.

19. strausd macrumors 68030

20. jeffe macrumors 6502a

You're probably talking about the 'Places' feature. You can turn that card off in the settings.

21. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Haha. I love it when people whine about being spoiled for options!

22. RMXO macrumors 6502a

I use Utter & Google Now together. During long road trips with my girl, I would use Utter to send text message to my girl sitting right next to me to keep myself occupied while annoying her in the process. LOL.