Big Difference Between Speed Test & File Downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Graham MacNerd, May 1, 2009.

1. Graham MacNerd macrumors newbie

i have a 1.5 Mbps AT&T DSL connection, and multiple speed tests show a download speed of 1.2 Mbps (and 200 Kbps upload). when i download files, such as software updates from Apple, various podcasts, and even Silverlight from Microshaft, the speed is always between 140 - 160 Kbps. i contacted AT&T, and the rep said it was because of buffering by the servers i was receiving the files from. is this a reasonable explanation? is this an accurate use of the term "buffering"?

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

That's because your internet is in kiloBITS (Kb/s), while your downloads will display it in kiloBYTES (KB/s). Take 1.5Mb/s (Megabits) = 1500Kb/s (Kilobits), and divide it by 8, and it will give your your max speed in kilobytes. That gives you 187ish right? You said you're getting 140-160, that should be in kilobytes, not kilobits, so you're doing pretty well.

EDIT: The AT&T rep you spoke to knows diddly squat. :D

3. ameeps macrumors member

Sites Have Limits

Some sites (probably not Apple or Microsoft) have a set limit that people can download at.

4. ameeps macrumors member

Sites Have Limits

Some sites (probably not Apple or Microsoft) have a set limit that people can download at.

Also, the kb/KB MB/mb misconception is what you are really asking about,

5. trevpimp macrumors regular

trevpimp

Dude, Wow. Thanks for answering the question I have been thinking of for a while.

I was wondering why my downloads were going like 80-100Kb/s when I pay for an internet thats like 768Kb/s.

I know its low compared to others but its what I can get. :D

6. Graham MacNerd thread starter macrumors newbie

you all are great

thanks for the quick and informative reply. i am glad to finally post in this forum that i get so much good info from.