Big dilemma - New MBP or 24" Cinema Display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozreth, Apr 17, 2010.

1. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

OK, so I've got the mid 2009 macbook pro and its in great condition still and its really awesome but I HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE the glossy screen. I've fallen in the love with the 15" matte screens and and very much considering selling my current MBP to pick up one of the new ones. Somebody is willing to buy mine (with a bunch of accessories) for $1,900. I would sell it and buy the new high end 15" matte (about $300 more with student discount.

OR

I found a 24" Cinema display for $400 that is still under warranty. Really want one of those too. Key word is want, I dont truely need either of these things, but hey, thats how it goes ha. If I got the display I would just wait until the next update to get a matte screen MBP, but by then I wont be able to sell my current model for nearly as much money.

What would YOU do?

2. breathesrain macrumors regular

3. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I suppose what you really need to do is determine which one option would ultimately suit YOU the best.

If you travel a lot with your MBP and can't stand the glossy screen while on the road, perhaps the first scenario is the best choice - sell you current machine while you can still get $1,900 for it and cut your losses. Remember, you can't necessarily lug a 24" monitor around with you.

And BTW, the 24" ACD is a glossy display as well, so that wouldn't help your situation.

4. broncopde macrumors 6502

My two cents

Unless you plan on using your MBP as a desktop a good percentage of the time, I'd sell what you have and buy a new MBP. I've found that usually the idea of working at my desk with a bigger display sounds great, but in reality I'd rather sit on the couch or in a recliner and work/browse.

5. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Yeah but that would be in my room, no problem with reflections.

My MBP leaves the house quite often, which is why the glossy bugs me, especially outside on campus.

I think you guys are right, but I can live with the macbook and when will I get another chance to buy a cinema display at that price? Plus I game often, so itd be nice : /

Looks like Im going to be bummed either way.

6. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Why don't you just get an anti glare screen cover and then get the display?

7. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I thought about this but read that the anti glare covers look real bad. Also, its also a good excuse for me to get a new i7 with not much upgrade cost.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're going to get a display, get the Dell Ultrasharp U2410; it's a true matte finish (not antiglare).

And with the money you saved, you can buy something else.

9. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

The glossy cinema display wont be a problem at all in my room. In fact, since I keep my room very dim, I imagine I will prefer it when playing games and whatnot, should look nice.

The glossy on my mbp bothers me because I take it outside a lot.

10. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

11. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Shameless bump. Tomorrow is my decision day. Leaning towards the display at this point, although getting a little worried that the 24" display will be a little underwhelming next to my 15" and I will regret the decision. Looking for some more insight/second opinions.

12. laela macrumors regular

laela

So if you HATE HATE HATE your MBP, then you've already answered your question.

Somehow you have this doubt, but that is the bottom line. On top of that your "alternative" is to throw away more good money on another equally bad glossy display.

In conclusion, you are nuts. :D

13. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

I guess I over exaggerated. My MBP is great, I just go crazy sometimes when I am outside and want to throw it off a bridge and buy a matte screen. Other times I think it looks great (ie in the house ha).

yeah I am nuts, very indecisive about most things that cost money ha.

14. laela macrumors regular

laela

Your MBP is driving you nuts probably in more ways than you realize in that case. Hence your growing confusion and indecisiveness on the matter.

Apple is fully responsible for that by aggravating the glossiness of the screens and confusing customers by shoving it down our throats in such a nice package (it costs $150 to get matte now and you lose the glass panel).

Just forget the glossy. You'll never get such a good deal for your bad MBP ever again. Sell it. Get the hi-res matte.

And whatever you do, don't give Apple more money for another glossy display. Buy another brand if you must. I know of no PC maker that is putting out displays as glossy as Apple's.

15. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Yeah I think youre right, and my decision just got a whole lot easier. Emailed the person selling the cinema, looks like somebody else is buying it off of him for $600. I feel bad for the guy buying it, must not know thats how much they go for on the refurb store.

16. tombilske macrumors member

tombilske

buy the cinema display...there is no way you will ever find another one that cheap

Edit: nevermind....also you will be happy with a high res antiglare MBP, so much better outdooors

17. ttran88 macrumors regular

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree with this.

You know you will be using your MBP with or without the external display, so it is best to have the display that you want on the MBP.

In the future, you can always get an external display. Right now you can get a great deal for your existing MBP -- take advantage of that. :)

19. ozreth thread starter macrumors 65816

ozreth

Yeah really good point. Thanks guys : )

20. metrica macrumors newbie

Just replace my 24 Cinema Display with a Dell 3007 (30 inch). The 24 Cinema Display is good in terms of features like speaker and isight included and control over keyboard, but the screen is basically a huge mirror, which can be a pain sometimes even indoor. Also dust can accumulate underneath the screen (not underneath the glass covering the screen--I am sure about that because I took off the glass to confirm), which is a design problem I guess. Dell U2410 is also a good choice if you don't want to pay for the 30 inch monster.

21. Arrandale macrumors regular

You can get large, decent antiglare displays from manufacturers other than Apple like Dell and Samsung for just over $200. Don't waste your money on a secondhand Apple display that's going to be glossy anyway.

22. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Good to hear. My U2410 is on the way (bought it yesterday off a seller off ebay, final price should be a bit under mid $400s). I'll be using this with my 2.53ghz Mac Mini which arrived last week actually. It's just been sitting in the box. (And I still need to figure out mouse, keyboard, and speakers too)

My next question is how to go about calibration. Any advice?