big distinction between core2duo and core2quad macbook pro using for video editing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by esumd, Apr 4, 2009.

1. esumd macrumors newbie

Hi guys, Im from turkey. In turkey there is an indirectly authorized costumer working with apple and they sell macs very expensive. For example macbook pro 2.66 is 2499 in usa, in turkey 4800$ . Thats terrible. So I will buy my macbook pro from usa this summer. As I read the rumors macbook pros won't have quadcore processors. Will it lose many things to me while using core2duo for video editing? thanks a lot.

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Wait for Nehalem if you really can, it's set to offer big speed boosts (to do with video), wait out for that if you're not desperate to get a Macbook Pro right now.

If you really can't wait, the Core 2 Duo processors will be just fine for you, I have a 2.5Ghz MacBook Pro (not unibody), and it's great for editing.

3. esumd thread starter macrumors newbie

I have already mentioned I have to buy it on summer.

In video editing, for example core2duo macbookpro renders a video in 1 minute. will core2Quad render it in 30 seconds. Will I lose many things?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lose many what?

additional processors dont magically cut things in half you know

you need it by this summer? you act as if their will be quads in the laptops by then. chances are they will not have quads so that kinda answers your question there

5. esumd thread starter macrumors newbie

can you rewrite that you wrote in simple english please, I can't understand the details correctly

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Doubling cores does not double power.

There will be no worthwhile upgrade to any of the MacBooks until Q4 2009/Q1 2010. Buy now.

7. esumd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dude.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Simple answer: No, in the summer time, there will not be Quad-core processors in the MacBook Pros. But, if you wait until end of 2009 or beginning of 2010, there will be Nehalem processors. Nehalem processors are about 2x better than Core 2 Duo. Since you *have* to purchase a MacBook Pro by this summer, I say just but it now.

9. esumd thread starter macrumors newbie

in pc notebooks, there are many core2quad processors. Why apple is waiting until end of 2009? in your opinion? I don't have any idea

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Power draw.

11. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Because Apple wants the battery to last more than an hour.

12. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Because apple does what it d#$n well pleases.

13. esumd thread starter macrumors newbie

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

No problem.

In all seriousness, what user will ever need more than two cores in a laptop? :D

/sarcasm

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol, reminds of when people said you could never fill up a 50meg hd

16. esumd thread starter macrumors newbie

a user that doesn't want to afford money to apple in next 6 years :p

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

In all seriousness, most people that buy notebooks don't do much on them that demands power. Gaming would be better on a bigger screen, and most gamers like towers with expandability. My classmate who brought her MacBook (unibody) to school one day didn't do much besides iCal, Address Book, Safari, etc...

I'd say the Core 2 Duo is good enough for most people.

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

Arrandale (Nehalem) MacBook Pros likely in H1 2010.

Quad-core likely in 2011.

Theoretically quad-core should be nearly 2x as fast as an equivalently clocked dual-core for multithreaded applications, but mobile quad-cores have lower GHz than many mobile dual-cores.

For some applications…

Heat (power) and probably low GHz.

19. cmaier macrumors G3

Um, no. Even on highly parallel applications, there is an inter-core communication overhead that increases with the number of cores. Highly efficient parallel apps will probably get a 50% increase with four cores vs. two.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

once again, having 2x as many processors does not make it 2x as fast. there are so many other factors that you are neglecting

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^So? The point is that it'd still be faster. cmaier said it better than I'm going to anyway, but despite any overhead, quad-core is still faster than dual core for those tasks where it'll actually matter. Quad core may not be 2x faster than dual-core at the same clock speed, but it's still faster. Plus, the quad-core processors used in some laptops also use newer tech than the current dual cores used in Macs.

A quad-core laptop from a company like Lenovo or Dell can be purchased at around the same price as a 17" MBP. It won't be as portable, but if being portable isn't an issue for him, then it makes sense. If he needs to carry his laptop around a lot, then quad-core laptops don't make sense.

22. bkarabel macrumors member

Slm

You don`t have to buy it from apple imc ( bilkom ) you can always buy it from gittigidiyor.com ( that`s ebay turkey ) you will save big time.

Cheers,

23. esumd thread starter macrumors newbie

gittigidiyor takes %10 comission + cargoo. thats very harsh if I have chance to order it from usa by a friend

24. bkarabel macrumors member

You don`t have to pay any fees ( only sellers do ) except for shipping which should not that be that bad. If you order it from US, what are you going to do if something goes wrong ( dead pixels, DOA, etc ) ?. PM me , there is someone i know maybe he can help you .