Big drop in battery capacity

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aethelbert, Aug 19, 2007.

1. aethelbert macrumors 601

my macbook has been on the charger for three days straight. I've been keeping daily logs in coconut battery to check up on the health. Yesterday it was at 5531mAh, but less than 24 hours later, it is now at 5151mAh. I realize that this was gonna happen eventually, but should it happen so quickly? Especially after being plugged in for that whole time...

2. elcid macrumors 6502

Others may correct me if I am wrong, but leaving something plugged in for an extended period of time is actually detrimental to batteries. My Macbook was acting a little short so I unplugged it, changed the power settings so it wouldnt sleep and ran it all the way down. Let it set for several hours once it was dead and it helped out. Currently I am at 5427.

But I know for other items running it dead and leaving it dead for awhile and then charging it full helps out battery life.

3. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Everyday you should try to get it on battery, even if it is for a few minutes. Its good that you noticed the drop. But, make sure once a month you calibrate your battery which is basically draining the battery all the way until the computer goes to sleep. Also don't keep it plugged in for long periods of time, like if you keep your battery sitting in your MB for about 1 week, it will be really bad and that when your screwed. If you know you will be away for a while, empty the battery to 50% then turn it off. This will keep some juice in the battery flowing which will not diminish the battery quality/life.;)

4. aethelbert thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the advice. I've been running on battery for five minutes and coconut battery now says that the capacity is 5557. That seems to have solved it.

5. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

Agreed, do a fully recharge once a month do good to your laptop, and don't keep the plug attached to it all the time, imagine the heat the "85W"or "65W" adapter could make, it's enough to warm a cup of coffee. Heat is the biggest enemy of your battery.
    My MacBook Pro got 5522 when it arrived, after sevaral charge ,it's still 5527

6. Merkuryy macrumors regular

Merkuryy

And also the battery measure system of Mac and iPod has some small problems. When you are doing something that really suck juice (like using iPod to receive photos from your DC, or playing games), the battery fall swiftly, but will regenerate a little after that. It may be this kind of problem