Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Buy a DAC if you're serious about Stereo/Hifi.

This is the answer. You don't want to use Apple's DACs anyway.
I wonder if USB would work as a secondary audio output?

Sure, it can be corrected with DAC converters, buying powered speakers or another powered amp/receiver (using Airport Express)...but it will cost you more $$....lessening the advantage of ATV 2 vs. ATV1.

But to be fair, the DAC (such as in a nice Denon receiver) is useful for a lot more than just with the ATV.

cwaddell2002

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I think the optical jack is a gift...

I've just realised this myself (and it makes me think I should cancel my preorder).

I currently have HDMI to my TV and the RCAs going to my hi-fi to make it a 'home cinema' but also to stream music from my Mac to my hi-fi.

But, unless I'm mistaken, with the new ATV, I won't be able to do this. How many hi-fi's have an optical input anyway?!

Well that depends... if by hifi you mean the recent generation of sorta not a boom box, but not seperates stereos from the likes of Sony and Aiwa... then very few... but frankly they don't sound so accurate to begin with (I won't tell you whether they sound good, as thats subjective)... As for AVRs (AV Recievers), anything purchased in the last 5 years should have an optical, and anything in the last 3 probably has HDMI... now that doesn't mean they all do, or that it will help the people doing zone2 to the deck and such.... Honestly, the optical jack surprised me and seems to be a gift to people who don't have AVRs with HDMI switching, so they can still run HDMI to their tv and optical to their AVR.... Quite decent of apple really....

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
I'm no massive audiophile so don't want to have to bother with separate DAC conversion - I just want it to be nice and simple, ie, a (single) lead from my source (AppleTV in this case) to my amp.

Also, I note that the AppleTV on-board DAC isn't that bad. Prior to getting my 2 zone Marantz stereo amp I had a Marantz A/V receiver with tons of optical and coax digital inputs. When I had that converting sound from the AppleTV through the optical connection for music it was ****house compared to the stereo amp connected to the AppleTV through the RCAs. This is part of the reason why I ditched surround (personally I believe that surround, while nice and techie, is a gimmick that will have its day. I don't even miss watching movies with surround; often the voice and effects were out of balance from the source and unless you were sitting in the right spot you didn't get the benefit (not to mention it's ugly having all those boxes everywhere) - I guess for kids action movies it's kind of fun but unnecessary for 99% of viewing) - puts on flame suit and shades :cool:

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm no massive audiophile so don't want to have to bother with separate DAC conversion - I just want it to be nice and simple, ie, a (single) lead from my source (AppleTV in this case) to my amp.

Also, I note that the AppleTV on-board DAC isn't that bad. Prior to getting my 2 zone Marantz stereo amp I had a Marantz A/V receiver with tons of optical and coax digital inputs. When I had that converting sound from the AppleTV through the optical connection for music it was ****house compared to the stereo amp connected to the AppleTV through the RCAs. This is part of the reason why I ditched surround (personally I believe that surround, while nice and techie, is a gimmick that will have its day. I don't even miss watching movies with surround; often the voice and effects were out of balance from the source and unless you were sitting in the right spot you didn't get the benefit (not to mention it's ugly having all those boxes everywhere) - I guess for kids action movies it's kind of fun but unnecessary for 99% of viewing) - puts on flame suit and shades :cool:
You shouldn't lump all types of surround sound together as they are not equal. Dolby surround is what you probably don't like. However Dolby Digital or DTS is much, much better than stereo sound if mixed properly. I'm not a huge fan of watching current movies without 5.1 honestly as you lose a lot of the cinematic experience. For music it's different unless you're listening to 5.1 DVD-Audio which absolutely can rock!

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
QS - my old surround amp had both Dolby Digital and DTS.

However, my main point is that (to my ears) it was bad at outputting stereo (compared to a dedicated stereo amp).

I understand that I'm probably alone on my views on stereo v surround.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

However, my main point is that (to my ears) it was bad at outputting stereo (compared to a dedicated stereo amp).

I understand where you're coming from. Stereo done well sounds great and you don't want some surround technology screwing with it via matrixes. I hear ya (I love puns ;)).

I just wanted to point out that 5.1 audio is really good. I have a Switchfoot - Nothing is Sound album that is a Dual Disc (it comes with a 5.1 mix) and it will blow your mind. I've also got a Norah Jones - Come Away With Me SACD but I can only play the stereo mix because I don't have an SACD player (no PS3 either). I really want to hear that in 5.1 again as it was fantastic in my Sound for Film class in school.

Hammie

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2009
Wash, DC Metro
OP

You have all that nice high end gear and you actually like the old appleTV RCA output? :rolleyes:

Optical to external DA converters are your best bet.

I was just getting ready to reply.

I don't think I would trust the internal DAC's in the Apple TV for my lossless music. Let alone and audio duties.

I currently have over 4000 ALAC music files in iTunes that I stream through my AppleTV to my HT system daily. I send them digital over HDMI to my Denon which does the decoding to analog and out to my amps and then to my B&W 800 Series speakers.

I don't know what model Marantz you have, but even a stereo box should accept optical in since most CD players have that output.

The lack of RCA's should not be a hang-up and reason to ditch the new AppleTV.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
I'm not sure I can afford a Marantz Zone 2 Series 8, etc. etc.

Is there anything decent I can get in the $200-$300 range?

:cool::cool::cool:

SCLlama

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008

Any half decent receiver should be able to produce true 2.0 stereo as long as you're in the proper mode. Just stay out of the gimmicky matrix modes, stick with the direct stereo, and the fact that the receiver CAN output surround should not matter. In fact, when you're talking appletv, you are much better off letting your receiver handle the conversion to analog.

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Any half decent receiver should be able to produce true 2.0 stereo as long as you're in the proper mode. Just stay out of the gimmicky matrix modes, stick with the direct stereo, and the fact that the receiver CAN output surround should not matter. In fact, when you're talking appletv, you are much better off letting your receiver handle the conversion to analog.

I actually disagree (as stated before). From my experience setting an A/V receiver to 2.0 gives a worse result for music than using a dedicated stereo amp - even where the A/V receiver is twice as expensive as the stereo amp.

Also, in my situation with 2 pairs of stereo speakers that are separately selectable, there are no A/V receivers capable of undertaking this task that are priced under AUD$4,000.

Additionally, I don't want to rout the music through my panel as sometimes I use my appleTV for music with the panel off - just using my iphone or ipad to control what is playing.

Basically, for me, they have s#@$@## the appleTV. I'll stick with the old one until it dies. (I actually have seen old ones for sale at DJs for AUD$199 and was thinking of picking up a spare).

SCLlama

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
I actually disagree (as stated before). From my experience setting an A/V receiver to 2.0 gives a worse result for music than using a dedicated stereo amp - even where the A/V receiver is twice as expensive as the stereo amp.

There are too many factors in play here. Speakers, room, taste, etc. Comparing one or two stereo and 5.1 amps is not going to lead you to a solid conclusion. Plus, a 5.1 receiver generally has far more features and i/o, so in order to get the same quality components, you will be talking easily twice as much money. That is the only drawback I see here.

And the difference there should not be greater than the difference between using Apple's stock DAC's compared to a receiver's. Maybe your previous receiver had issues?
Also, in my situation with 2 pairs of stereo speakers that are separately selectable, there are no A/V receivers capable of undertaking this task that are priced under AUD$4,000.

I've owned 4 A/V receivers in the last 7 years. Only 1 of which was more than $400. All have had this ability (unless I'm confusing what you're referring to).

Additionally, I don't want to rout the music through my panel as sometimes I use my appleTV for music with the panel off - just using my iphone or ipad to control what is playing.

AppleTV HDMI -> A/V Receiver. No Panel required.

rneglia

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
The Musical Fidelity V-DAC would fit the bill.

I have a Kenwood 104AR receiver and Sony SS-F6000 speakers.

Should I just buy one of those cheap $30 optical-to-analog converters to go with my :apple:TV?

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Okay...you guys are scaring me. I thought I had a good setup running the :apple:TV via HDMI to my 50" Samsung LCD, then running RCA from the TV to my sound system. Are you all saying this is like...crappy?? Cause with the new :apple:TV, I'd be doing exactly the same thing....even if my stereo was a B&O!!!

BTW....Im tone deaf and cant sing a note!!:) But does that mean my system would sound heaps better running RCA directly from the :apple:TV to my stereo??

erinh

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2010
audiophiles.... gotta love them.

Okay, OP, what exactly is your issue/problem here? No standard 3.5mm/RCA output? And you need this feature rather than optical/HDMI to output audio over your receiver's Zone 2? Correct?
If so, I'm sorry I can't provide an answer better than what's been given (optical->rca conversion box), but those should suit you well.

I agree that it's a shame they couldn't incorporate the 3.5mm jack (or standard analog audio out), but the fact is they didn't. Now it's on the consumer to find a work around.

I'm using my appletv solely for streaming music, but luckily I don't have the same requirements you do. I'll just be streaming into the living room setup so my wife, kid, and dogs can rock out without having to blast my imac setup in the office. :D

If you find a resolution to the problem - that doesn't require excess expenditure like the options already presented to you - please come back and update this thread as others who are in your shoes would like to know, I'm sure.

Good luck!

erinh

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2010
But does that mean my system would sound heaps better running RCA directly from the :apple:TV to my stereo??

depends. I'll venture to say no, given the statement about being tone deaf.
If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound? ;)

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Okay...you guys are scaring me. I thought I had a good setup running the :apple:TV via HDMI to my 50" Samsung LCD, then running RCA from the TV to my sound system. Are you all saying this is like...crappy?? Cause with the new :apple:TV, I'd be doing exactly the same thing....even if my stereo was a B&O!!!

BTW....Im tone deaf and cant sing a note!!:) But does that mean my system would sound heaps better running RCA directly from the :apple:TV to my stereo??

The only difference is whether or not the TV or the AppleTV has better D/A conversion. Most people would never notice the difference. If you're truly tone deaf (which is unlikely, by the way; probably less than 5% of the people who think they're tone deaf actually are), you probably will not notice the difference.

OT: Tone deafness test. Have someone play two different notes on a piano (or any other musical instrument). Can you tell which one is higher (or lower)? If you can, you're not tone deaf.

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
erinh - thanks for the summary. I haven't found a solution that I am happy with at present so I'll just stay with the original appleTV. I am in Australia so we don't get netflix or TV rentals over the appleTV anyway so there is no real reason to update until deals like that are done here.

Lots of contributors have said, use an A/V receiver or buy this or that - but in the real world I already have my equipment that I'm quite happy with so I'm not just going to change it to accommodate (what I believe) is a down-graded appleTV product. Also, many of their suggestions are just plain wrong. As I've already mentioned I have a stereo amp with no optical or HDMI inputs (that's how most stereo amps are - even very new ones) and I have 2 pairs of stereo speakers; 1 pair in the living room with some B&W speakers and 1 pair of SpeakerCraft ceiling mounted speakers in an outdoor courtyard. I can push little speaker a and b buttons and have 1 pair or the other or both playing. There are very few A/V receivers that can do that unless you spend lots of $$$. For people that think I shouldn't be using compressed music over an appleTV, I do have other sources as well that go into the amp - however the jukebox style functionality of the appleTV is convenient in many situations.

What I'll probably do is buy a new amp in a year or so that has AirPlay built in (for example, I understand that there is an existing Denon amp that will work with AirPlay after a firmware update) - I will probably get a new appleTV at that time as well (as such an amp is likely to be able to switch HDMI and have optical input).

In the meantime, I'll use the old faithful appleTV and hope it doesn't melt down.

Omne666 - switching through the panel is fine for what you are doing - I would probably just do that as well, except sometimes I use the appleTV with the panel off (using iphone/ipad to control the music) eg when I have people over.

Deej

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
UK
@itouch rulz - completely understand what you're saying, and I happen to agree that 'Surround Amps' don't process stereo in the same way as a decent stereo-only amp.

Unfortunately I don't have anything else to add other than a question that I don't think anybody else has covered: assuming you did get a different amp in the future that had HDMI inputs/outputs, couldn't you go AppleTV -> amp -> LCD and therefore have the sound coming out of the amp without the LCD being switched on?

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
@itouch rulz - completely understand what you're saying, and I happen to agree that 'Surround Amps' don't process stereo in the same way as a decent stereo-only amp.

Unfortunately I don't have anything else to add other than a question that I don't think anybody else has covered: assuming you did get a different amp in the future that had HDMI inputs/outputs, couldn't you go AppleTV -> amp -> LCD and therefore have the sound coming out of the amp without the LCD being switched on?

Correct - with an amp that switched HDMI you wouldn't need the panel on as you could rout the source through the amp first.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2006
My receiver has a button called "STEREO" on it, and it plays stereo sound no matter what the input. HDMI, optical, 6channel, whatever.

Should probably get a amp with that feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.