Big Family.. How to manage accounts??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stark4, May 23, 2011.

1. stark4 macrumors 6502

My parents just bought a brand new iMac. i have to set up the iMac and i'm going to be the only one who will maintain the iMac (Apple updates..etc) and installing programs (MS Office, etc.. )... so i'm just wondering whether i should create a Multiply accounts for each user (5 family members) or just one admin account?

They have their own laptops and i have my own Macbook pro. So the iMac will be in the living room to check quick email and surf the web. I asked them and they don't mind either way so i'm just thinking whether it's easier for me to do the maintenance if the iMac has only 1 admin account.

Does the Mail app work with multiply users in single account?

For those with big family . how do you guys set up the accounts? only 1 admin account or multiply accounts? What do you guys suggest?

Thanks

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

One admin account (you) and multiple non-admin accounts for everyone else. Everyone gets their own settings and none of them can mess up the computer too much.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The issue you may run into is that they'll just start using one account, that is they'll not log out and so suddenly everyone starts using a single account.

To avoid this make sure you disable auto-login and just try to enforce the idea that people need to log off when they're with the computer.

4. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

You could also set up each account to automatically log out after so many minutes of inactivity.

5. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I have a family of 4. Everyone has their own account - also everyone has their own email address. Only my account has admin rights. I have fast user switching turned on. I have the auto-login at boot turned off.

This setup works well for us.

6. stark4 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what i'm worry about also... I'm sure they will not logout and start using one account. How do i prevent it? auto log out?

If i have my account with admin rights.. Can i install (MS OFFICE)? is it going to show up on all the accounts and they will be able to use it?

Can family photos from iPhoto will be available to All the accounts? because i'm sure everyone want to see the family photo in iphoto using their own account.

Thanks

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Dude, don't sweat the little things in life. Just take care of your account and let them do what they want with theirs.
    Yes.
    I saw in another post that this can be done by using a shared photo library. Use MRoogle to find the details.

8. stark4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks .. Anyone has anymore input on this? i'm still deciding whether i should create accounts for each users or One standard account for all the users and one Admin for me. Please let me know how your setup is if you have a big family.

btw i'll be setting up the iMac tonight.

Thanks

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

One thing I would suggest to you.

1. Buy TWO externals to the fastest ports on your Mac.

2. Use the first one as a Time Machine back or a scheduled Clone.

3. Use the other disk and move your iTunes Library to it. Then point the whole family's iTunes (in the different accounts) Library to that external. This way you can use 1 iTunes account and the music anyone buys in your Family will be available to the whole family, on any of the accounts.

Also consider using a free OpenDNS.com account and use their free DNS. They have an instructional video explain the benefits of using this DNS service. You can even track where anyone on your network has been and even block access to certain websites.