Big files swallowing hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ferrarofilms, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ferrarofilms macrumors member

I installed lion 10.7.2 on my iMac in Jan 2012 and since then the capacity of my HDD has been going down without logical reasons. Since it is not a portable mac the problem could not be the backing up automatically while not connected to time machine, I applied Clean your Mac but it only gave me 4 gb more.
    Searching among hidden files I found the problem:
    a "private " folder that is 420GB, in it a log folder with that load of 420GB and in it a "kernel.log.0" with 376Gb, a "kernel.log.1" with 19.31 and a "kernel.log.4" with 24.12GB, among other many files.
    What to do? First time with this iMac on Lion, nothing wrong using Leopard or Snow leopard before.
    Thanks

Imac 27 Quad 2.93, 8GB Ram, 1GB Graphics, FW800 external + Raid

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I would not recommend CleanMyMac, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much. I recommend you uninstall it.
    It sounds like you may have a recurring error that's filling log files. Use Console.app to view the log files to determine what the source of the log entries may be. After you've resolved that, it's safe to delete the log files.