Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub, I think its the best out there. Lightly cover ribs and chicken. Also I use Dales steak sauce for marinating. dalesseasoning.com
Make my own rub and BBQ sauce, been grilling since I was 15, 54 years ago, grilled it all
[doublepost=1500229636][/doublepost]
Sorry I haven't been in here. Great stuff. Thanks to everyone.

I made brats for Independence Day. Ha ha pretty boring.

View attachment 708865
[doublepost=1500229142][/doublepost]Last week I started curing some pork belly for bacon.

Yesterday I smoked it and today sliced and packaged it.

View attachment 708866

View attachment 708867

View attachment 708868

View attachment 708870

View attachment 708871
[doublepost=1500229962][/doublepost]
It was a pretty good size hen, I think the beer moisture makes it take a lot longer.
Inside the chicken, the beer never boils,(at a proper temp to cook the chicken), to get the beer to boil and steam the chicken, you"d incinerate the chicken. Go to www.Amazing Ribs.com and check it out
[doublepost=1500230067][/doublepost]
Those things are hard to cook. I have made one "Packers" brisket and I ended up finishing it off in the oven (which is actually a recommended technique from TexasBBQ, so I didn't feel too bad about it). Here is a pic of the one we made (it is bigger than it looks in the pic. It is on the biggest plate we own):

smoked brisket by Derek, on Flickr
NICE!

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Make my own rub and BBQ sauce, been grilling since I was 15, 54 years ago, grilled it all
[doublepost=1500229636][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1500229962][/doublepost]
Inside the chicken, the beer never boils,(at a proper temp to cook the chicken), to get the beer to boil and steam the chicken, you"d incinerate the chicken. Go to www.Amazing Ribs.com and check it out
[doublepost=1500230067][/doublepost]
NICE!

Looking good!

Reactions: Gutwrench

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Ideally, any indirect cooking is best for brisket. It retains the natural beef flavor and breaks down the tissues which leads to flavorful and very moist meat. I do like the aesthetic quality of that brisket from a few posts ago. I was and never will be a fan of dark bark brisket.

1Zach1

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2008
Northern Va
Made my first meat loaf on the Egg. Wife already requested we have it again so I'm going with it being a success.

hMT5s0Y.jpg

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
mmmm BACON...
[doublepost=1500422743][/doublepost]and meatloaf is great too..share the recipe

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I think I've got a tri meat recipe for loaf somewhere. But I can say it was a mixture of pork butt, beef and lamb, cooked slowly and indirectly. I'll have to dig through binders to find it. Anyone doing anything special this weekend? I was thinking of doing some smoked tritip and maybe some chicken breasts to freeze later.

I saw a peppercorn crusted recipe for roasted tritip online but I figured it wouldn't be hard to smoke it. Plus, I'll get the rich peppery flavor.

alwaysbeincontact

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2014
USA
I've been using an egg for years and its the best thing I have ever bought! I have the smaller egg for 2 people and cook out chicken, steak, vegetables and absolutely love it! It easy to setup, wait to get it hot and cook on it. I was fortunate to meet the founder of the egg at my previous job and he signed a Green Egg book for me, it was awesome! I highly recommend it and its a better meal than any restaurant, unless your eating at a Del Frisco's, lol. Enjoy it!!

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
Running about 550. I really need to change up my set up and get a proper pizza stone.

I think it turned out terrific. You looks good. I'm hungry for pizzas now. I make seem to turn out the best when it's 550 F or higher. About 5-6 minutes.

Funny, I stack three bricks on top of the fire ring to elevate the rack so I can cook chicken wings on direct flame.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
I think it turned out terrific. You looks good. I'm hungry for pThe pizzas I make seem to turn out the best when it's 550 F or higher. About 5-6 minutes.

Funny, I stack three bricks on top of the fire ring to elevate the rack so I can cook chicken wings on direct flame.

Good idea!

Gutwrench

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 2, 2011
I had it in Cairo, Eygpt, had small octopus, shrimp, shark, oysters, certainly different.

I forgot the baby crabs.

Oh I understand now. I've had something similar in China. It had octopus and squid on it. It was very popular, but my family rarely ate seafood so I have never been very fond of octopus or squid.

I make paella a couple times a years. 1. It's a great party dish that everyone can get involved. 2. Delicious.

Here's a picture of one fresh off the grill.

IMG_8166.PNG

Reactions: JamesMike
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.