Big issues with Facebook access - could it be my new router?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Pikemann Urge, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

I can log into Facebook without hassle but whenever I click on something the page never loads or comes up with an error. So I'm stuck. I'm using OS X 10.4.11, build 8S165 on a dual 1.8 G5.

Every other site works well enough. Firefox version:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20

Safari version is 3.0.4 (523.12.2).

Facebook just won't work correctly on either browser.

My LAN is like this: I have a good, solid ADSL router connected via PPPoE to the ISP. That worked fine when I connected my computer to it via a D-Link hub. Standard networking stuff, always reliable, no issues. So it was computer to hub, hub to router, router to ISP. Piece of cake!

Then I got a dirt cheap D-Link wireless (G) and Ethernet router to replace the hub. I am not currently connected via Wi-Fi and so it's still being treated like a basic hub right now. It connected beautifully to the ADSL router and everything works like a charm (except I had to unplug its power to re-establish a DHCP connection to the ADSL router, but it's fine otherwise).

But darn it, Facebook will just not work right. I tried an XP laptop which is connected to the ADSL router directly via cat-5 cabling. And on that, Facebook worked fine.

I suspect it's my computer, not the wireless router. I will dig up the hub again and reconnect it to see what happens. But the person who owns the laptop has sensitive stuff on it and doesn't want it connected to anything else but the ADSL router (fair enough).

So in the meantime: got any suggestions?

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

Check for firmware updates on the new gadget. Also see if you can run the new gadget strictly in access point mode. It is probably running in router mode, so you are running into whatever bugs it has in the router code.

I wouldn't worry about your computer too much, except that you should update Safari, and consider Firefox 3 instead of 2. Firefox 2 doesn't get security updates any more.

Oh, as a quick test, you can try this in Terminal and see if your problem goes away:

sudo ifconfig en0 mtu 1450

3. Pikemann Urge thread starter macrumors 6502

Amdahl, thanks for your advice. BTW is there any way of undoing that terminal command? Would I even need to?

4. Amdahl macrumors 65816

reboot, or run it again with 1500.

If that didn't help, also try in Firefox:
    Browse to about:config

Set
    network.http.pipelining to true
    network.http.max-connections to 8
    network.http.max-connections-per-server to 3

5. Pikemann Urge thread starter macrumors 6502

I just want to say thanks for your input here. Your post prompted me to check D-Link's site. Lo and behold you can actually change the MTU on the router (as well as the computer of course). I have a feeling either way the issue will be resolved. :)

BTW I was going to try a Belkin G router that I got cheaply but D-Link ones are so much easier to use IMO. No drivers required - it's all browser based. Whereas the Belkin seems to need software. Bah, I'm not going to waste time with that.

6. Trip.Tucker Guest

7. Kelly the Dude macrumors newbie

Seems as though the issue is with Safari. I've had a lot of problems over the last couple days using Facebook using Safari 3.2.1. Looking around it seems as though there is a problem with JavaScript in the latest release. Try surfing with Firefox and see if the problem persists.

I also have a fairly recent build of WebKit that exhibits the same behavior. This seems to be another example of the bug we're experiencing:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=640768

Can anyone else verify this?

8. Pikemann Urge thread starter macrumors 6502

I haven't had the pleasure of visiting an Apple Store yet.

9. Kelly the Dude macrumors newbie

I might have found your problem. I switched from iChat to Adium and discovered that the new version of Adium had support for the Facebook chat service.

It turns out that the Facebook service only allows a user to be logged in once, even for chat. Well I was leaving Adium open all the time, even when on Facebook's site. So when I moved to a page with Adium open, Facebook would deny me, since I was trying to login twice.

Simple fix is to quit Adium or any other Facebook chat client and then login to the site.

If this isn't the case, perhaps you're logged in on two different computers. Does this apply to you?