Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex1002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
GOod Day,
I had some dvd drive replaced with an SSD. I can install OSX on the main drive and SSD no problems whats so ever. But windows is been an nightmare. I installed WIndows on both SSD or HDD. When its boot a few times or restart, even apply update it always goes into repair mode or cannot find boot partition on black screen. I have to run repair.
Please please help me out here.

I tried my old Windows 8.1 purchased. Then I tried Windows 10 I just got from Microsoft store that came with USB Drive, and choose EFI Boot and installed it.Then after I got to the login screen to create user accounts it rebooted and when into repair mode. After which I did, then it does system restore to repair. Once at login screen again, after a few reboot goes into repair mode again.

Already PRAM, NVRAM on my iMac. already latest firmware and updates in OS X.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I suspect that having Windows installed on 2 active drives at the same time will cause problems with booting and running as it may switch installations mid-boot and get confused.

jonen560ti

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
Does it just immediately shutdown as if it had a power failure or is it a clean and clearly intentional reboot?

alex1002

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
Seems to run okay. If I need to install updates or restart for any reason. Or turn off
Machine. It will begin repair.

jonen560ti

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2015
It sounds like the machine is trying to use a driver that it thinks will work on the mac, but it doesnt work. and when you restart, it tries to use that new driver for the first time and bombs. try this, after you install Windows 10. open run by hitting CMD key + R or Windows key + R depending on if you`re using an Apple layout keyboard or not. then write in the run window "Control system". in the appearing window, hit "advanced system settings" in the left pane. open the "hardware" tab. on device installation settings, set the machine to never try to install drivers from Windows update. that should prevent it from trying to find drivers and will hopefully prevent it from bootlooping

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.