Big List of Spotlight Annoyances

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheSpaz, Dec 6, 2007.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Here's a list of the things that have been completely annoying me about Spotlight in Leopard. For me, Spotlight has been severely downgraded in Leopard.

1. No more Spotlight Window (big clean window with search results organized with RSS-like interface)

2. Spotlight Searches open in very small Finder windows (need to resize and stretch column headers to get the results to display with any type of readability)

3. Icon view in Spotlight searches are almost completely useless cause you can hardly read the names under the icons unless you make the icons huge.

4. Any manual view settings you apply to a search window will not stick for next time you search. Icons go back to small in icon view and lists do not retain the same column header sizes.

5. When you use the search field in a Finder window, it always automatically searches your entire system even though 99% of the time, I'm just trying to search within that folder. (I use the Spotlight menu to search my drive)

6. There is no more date column in Spotlight's Finder window. Instead, there's a "Last Opened" column which really isn't what I'd be mostly concerned about. I don't need to know when I last OPENED a file... I wanna know when I last saved a file... and of course, there are no view options for Spotligh search windows. However, I know I can add a search criteria to my Spotlight search to sort it by date or whatnot but, that's one extra step that I didn't used to have to take. It was nice just being able to glance over at the modified date of a file.

7. Visual annoyances: Can't seem to get rid of the horizontal scroll bar when viewing Spotlight Searches in the Finder.... Spotlight always opens in a tiny window with a horizontal scroll bar and half the names are cut off by the small list headers columns.

8. What happened to the very simple category separations? I used to love that all of my Fonts were grouped, all of my PDFs were grouped, all of my Images were grouped and that sort of thing. That was VERY nice because you could visually and quickly find what you are looking for. If it was a PDF I was looking for, I could just quickly glance to the PDF section and completely skip over the image and text documents sections because those weren't needed. It was just another way to refine the search better.

Overall, I think Spotlight got a lot worse in Leopard... it feels very unfinished and poorly thought out. They changed what was once good into something that is just so ugly that it's not even funny. I almost hate searching in Leopard now... it just isn't the same and not for the better.

ONE plug about Spotlight in Leopard: Yes, it's faster but, I'd rather have slower but, more organized results.

Any thoughts?

List your thoughts on the new Spotlight. If you think it's better, explain your reasons, if you think it's worse, explain your reasons as well.

2. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

I like the new spotlight. It auto selects the top item, which means it can be used as a bit of a launcher. I like the fact it no longer opens its own completely random interface. It now fits in the finder, and seems more integrated with the whole file system. Before youd get different results from the finder based search than spotlight search.

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Nope, don't agree.:rolleyes:

5. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Wow, that sucks... I thought I made some good points. I guess everyone is calming down about Leopard and its no longer big news... I feel the same way... Nobody wants to talk about it anymore I suppose. *sigh*

6. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No, firstly you did ask if anyone agrees, I as some of the others said we don't. Also it's not that we don't want to talk about Leopard like it's old news but you just want to point out things you don't like. That's not really "talking" about it that ranting. Sorry but prepare to not get disappointed if your thread doesn't catch on with everyone.
    Most people are accepting what Apple has done with Leopard and mostly everyone else likes what Leopard is all about so we are on with the next phase getting work done on it.

7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I 100% agree. I hate the new finder spotlight window... the old one was 10 times better! I don't even know how to tweak it to make it like the old one. I just try to not use it period.

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

@ HDLan hey chill man. not everyone agrees with you and not everyone agrees with TheSpaz so face it.

i dont 100% agree because i love how spotlight is faster and applications default first and i too hate how a spotlight window wasnt a finder window and you couldnt use finder keyboard shortcuts like command-delete etc.

but i strongly agree with 2 & 8. i hate how the spotlight window is a default sized finder window. all my finder windows are quite large to account for using cover flow which needs to be pretty big to be of any benefit. i guess apple didnt notice this and i think its a big design flaw.

i guess quicklook and cover flow have compensated for the lack of catergory seperations but i agree it was very useful.

9. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Well, I agree.

10. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

The biggest annoyance for me is that when I am in a folder in Finder and I type in a search term in spotlight (within Finder) it always searches my entire system instead of starting where I am. Is there somewhere I can configure that to behave differently?

That is still considered Spotlight (when within Finder), correct?

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Yes, it is still called Spotlight but, I too hate that bug you noted. I wish there was a defaults command to fix that.

12. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

since the nature of this post is good stuff, i agree

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Personally, I hated the old non standard Spotlight Windows (pretty useless for me). I much prefer the Finder window version. The only thing I do agree with is that it doesn't remember what your last settings were.

15. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

anything that uses a search field in OS X uses spotlight except Safari which uses Google. yes when you type into the search field in a finder window it searches your entire computer. you can click the folder name next to "This Mac" to only search in that folder.

Tiger's spotlight never searched the system folder but allowed you to search for files inside the main and user libraries. Leopard's spotlight does not search either the system folder or the libraries but you can add a search attribute to the finder search field to allow this.

to do this press command-F while in the finder. change the search attribute from "kind" to "other...", search for system in the new window, add it to the menu if you want and then click OK. you will then be able to search for system files.

16. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Unfortunately You can only do that *after* you complete your initial search. I might as well press Cmd-F. In fact, I just removed Search from my Finder Toolbar :rolleyes:

17. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Spaz - I agree COMPLETELY. It must be a NH thing...

Spotlight was "the straw that broke the camels back" for me.

The only reason the "red" icon is on top - I'm in the middle of moving settings and shortcuts over... Otherwise the "green" icon is now on top. :)

Edit: FYI - if you don't have Bootcamp installed - create a new partition on your primary drive (10GB or so). Install Tiger on that new partition - and open file sharing. It is so transparent (between the OS's) it's almost scary. I can run almost everything from either OS, with the exception of "Spaces" or "quick view" (the "new" Leopard features). I was warned that Bootcamp might get tanked when I re-size my LEOPARD partition (WTF windows?!?) - and it did, but that is easily fixed.

Attached Files:

18. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm really starting to like Leopard but, Spotlight still sucks. I much much much prefer the old Spotlight and what's up with having to ALWAYS search the entire drive by default? How stupid is that? Of course I can easily switch it back but, I'm used to navigating to the general area a file could be and then refining my search by using the search box because maybe I don't want a billion results, I just want results. What about searching network drives? Every time I have a network drive mounted and I try to do a search it will search MY computer? No, I want to search the NETWORK drive because I have THAT WINDOW currently open... stupid Apple... what a piece of crap Spotlight has become. I thought the whole point of an upgrade was to improve features from a previous version, not delete features and bring us gimped down versions of the software.

19. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i could be wrong but didnt tiger's spotlight search the entire drive when using spotlight's search window and finder's search window? i think i remember panther used to only search the folder you had open in a finder window. pathfinder does this if you wanna look into it.

20. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I agree that the annoyances posted above are indeed annoying. But overall, Spotlight actually works now. Spotlight simply did not work in Tiger (a couple of iMac G5s professionally maintained): type in an application name - it appears - it disappears - it appears - it disappears - ooops - you pushed a wrong one..... Annoying.

In addition, Tiger's spotlight took ages to find anything and do not even dare try to search a phrase....

Bottom line: Leo's spotlight still could be improved, but it is a huge step forward from what it used to be.

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I definitely agree that it is much faster at finding results but, it is less pretty. It looks aweful and I wish there was a way to customize what your results look like and then have it SAVE those settings for the next time you search. Tiger remembered whether you last had it search the current folder or your entire drive.

22. MrMoore macrumors 6502

I agree on your list especially 1, 2, 3, 5.

I miss the spotlight Finder window. I like the file type breakdown that was in Tiger. The icon view it now gives makes it hard to read. Also, I haven't been able to determine how to remove them, but the Finder result window for Spotlight also displays Safari History icons. I can turn it off on the Spotlight list, but the Finder view still displays them.

Also the default to look through the whole hard drive even when in a particular folder drives me mad. If I am in a specific folder I just want to search that folder. If I want to seach the whole hard drive I'll use Spotlight on the menu. :mad:

23. dr_lha macrumors 68000

The Spotlight window worked the same way in Tiger, i.e. the date column was actually the "last opened" date, and not the creation/last save date. If you don't believe me try the following in Tiger, do a spotlight search in the window, order by date and then open a file near the bottom. Spotlight will now move the item up to the top because it was recently opened.

Therefore, the main change therefore between Tiger and Leopard here is that they correctly labelled the column. While I agree that it is annoying not to be able to pick a more sensible date ordering, its not really an argument for Tiger's Spotlight being better.

24. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's exactly how I feel. You said 100% what I was thinking. NICE! I think most people don't really search their computer a lot but, sometimes I just want instant access to a file... of course I can navigate to it the slow and painful way but, I'd rather just search for it and if I happen to be in a window and I'm almost there, I'd like my search to just be in that window to narrow down the results a bit.

We haven't upgraded to Leopard at work yet but, we're always searching for job #'s on a networked drive, so I open the Finder, click the drive that has the jobs on it and start typing in a search and it automatically finds files that are on the network drive. In Leopard however, if I mount the drive I want to find a file on, I have to start searching, then take my mind off of what I'm doing and go and click on the network drive name so that spotlight can turn around and search the network drive... that's really annoying and if I have to do that EVERY time, it can get annoyingly repetitive very quickly. I just want to start my search and have it search the window I am currently in.

25. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

All the Apple fan-boys love the new spotlight cause they love anything Apple does.