Big Mistake?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by BJarrell, Oct 2, 2008.

1. BJarrell macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I was looking for a little input. I was a previous owner of a 1g 8g iPod Touch. When the new model was released I quickly sold it for $215 and bought a 16g 2g iPod Touch. But soon I found that my car adapter and my Bose Docking stations, at home and work, wouldn't charge. Not getting any help for either Bose or Apple I returned my 2g 16g for a 32g 1g iPod touch, to my wife's disapproval upgrading each time. So my question is should I have been a little more patient with a soon if any fix for my docking stations?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Dont think a fix is coming, they changed the port or something inside i believe, not like they can flip a switch and it will work to my knowledge

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

The charging issue has to do with the fact that Apple has been changing how iPods charge. They have been doing this for quite some time. From what I've read online it's something having to do firewire, though I don't know any specifics.

Many manufacturers never bothered to change the male ports they were using while manufacturing their devices to comply with Apple's "new" standard.

It's really not Apple's fault, it's more the manufacturers who have not listened.

Luckily, I have an iHome IH9 and Belkin TuneSync dock/usb hub (older, surprised it works) that both charge my 2g touch. My iPod Audio Kit however does not charge, it's way old, probably almost 5 years, so that doesn't surprise me.

The only thing I've seen online so far is http://www.scosche.com/passport
    that may solve everyone's issues, but at 30 bucks I hardly think it's worth it.
    ...or if you want to be really wasteful, the even more expensive version of the SAME thing from http://www.xtrememac.com/category/touch_2g.php?s=ct3

4. rls11286 macrumors newbie

if i was in your position, op, i would have just bought a cheaper version of the docking stations you already have. unfortunately with fast paced technology like apple youre going to have to replace your accessories, including charging stations, just as rapidly as you replace your ipod. in my opinion, i would rather have spent the $30 or so on a new docking station that would be compatible with the second generation touch simply because i believe it is a better ipod than the first gen. however, you ended up getting more memory, 32 instead of your original 16, so depending on how you use your touch it could have ended up being the wiser decision for you.

5. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

I emailed Bose and this is there response:

6. ei2ggb macrumors newbie

Hi,

My first post.

So my new Ipod Touch 2G is being delivered today. Previously I had a classic 80GB, and the Bose Sound dock. So after doing some research i discovered this issue with the charging. So before my touch even arrived I rang both Bose and Apple in Ireland where I live.

Bose Response - Yes we are aware of the problem. She assured me that apple were working on a fix.

Apple Response - They as well assured me that a fix was being worked on, he did not know if it would be a firmware update or an adapter.

Regards

Gavin

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Apple have been telling manufacturers for a long time that the 12v charging pins were deprecated and they shouldn't be used in new accessories.

They have now removed it completely in new models so accessories that charge over the firewire charge pins (12v) won't charge them as you've seen.

Apple have stated they are bringing out an adapter which is the only way this can be made to work: a firmware update can't enable charging from pins that aren't connected up to the charging circuit...