Big Money = Big Choice. But what?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jophster, May 23, 2010.

1. Jophster macrumors member

Hi All!
    Good GCSE Results permitting, I am being gifted with £1500!

Here is the set up I have at the moment:

MacBook Air - REV A :mad:
    iPhone 3G 16GB

I plan to sell both and add it to a total fund of £2140.

I know I want an iMac 27" Core i5 (Refurb) at £1379

So we are down to £761.
    Now here is where it gets interesting, if I didn't sell my iPhone. I would have £560 to spend, this could buy me an iPad 32GB, giving me an
    iMac 27" Core i5
    iPad 32GB WIFI
    iPhone 3G 16GB.

OR

I could buy the new iPhone HD (at new 3GS Price of £530), and have money left over giving me an
    iMac 27" Core i5
    iPhone HD
    +£231

Which do you think is the better deal? I think my iPhone is looking a little old in the tooth so I am thinking that might be a better deal although I really want the iPad at the same time!!
    Any suggestions?!

Thanks!
    Joe

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Jophster thread starter macrumors member

Interesting...

Hmm... That is one I hadn't thought of.
    Although I must say I disagree that having both is useless. When I buy my iMac, I will be loosing my MacBook Air which although a piece of rubbish it is very portable and loosing my laptop would be a big blow - that is where an iPad could step in and having an iPhone is just a necessity in my eyes anyway!
    Definitely food for thought!
    Thanks!

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

IMO iPad just can't replace a computer, it does everything your iPhone does. For 200£ more, you can get a MacBook which beats iPad in every category.

Just my opinion but I don't get the thing of iPad, especially if MacBook is just little more

5. Matty-p macrumors regular

Could you sell the 3g and buy new iPhone HD keeping the air as a laptop to use when on holiday away from the house or just around the house or as a back up computer IMO a laptop has so many uses ESP a light one like the air

6. Jophster thread starter macrumors member

I understand what you are saying but I think for me, the things that the iPad does do well are just the things that I do on my laptop - surfing the web on the couch or in a coffee shop, watching a movie in bed etc. I don't think these sorts of tasks warrant a full blown laptop.

Sadly, not really, I think I would get about £260 for my iPhone plus the £120 remaining after the iMac doesn't quite cover it. Besides, after pulling my hair out on so many occasions with this MBA I really can't stand to look at it, let alone USE it!

7. EasyJW macrumors member

i'm in a similar position but my parents aren't as spoling as yours [​IMG] my idea is to go with the iPad seeing as my iPhone works just fine [​IMG]

8. Jophster thread starter macrumors member

Agreed

I agree, only my iPhone is already a version behind and is starting to bug me with some of the things it can't/won't do - Multitasking, video etc. (I know jailbreaking does these but Cycorder is pathetically rubbish at video.)

It would be nice to get an EXTRA device rather than just replacing an old one I suppose...

9. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Try actually using one for an extended period of time....

10. amagawd macrumors newbie

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Send me one so I can ;) We're not getting iPads before autumn. I'm not saying it's not nice but IMO it's useless. It's not small enough to fit in your pocket so you will not take it with you all the time like iPhone. On the other hand, it doesn't have the features of a laptop. Of course I can't decide other people's usage and opinions but I have no use for it. What would you get? 32GB iPad or MacBook for 200£ more? iPad does everything my iPhone already does.

It's just my opinion and I know some people got the idea of it when they used it.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Buy what you need and save / invest the rest of the money.

13. Jophster thread starter macrumors member

I have to say, that for my general usage patterns an iMac, backed up with an iPad and an iPhone would really cover every possible usage scenario I would need. It would be perfect for me!

Please private message me as I am sure this breaks rules!

Ahhh... but the truth is, I don't really need any of it and at 16, investing & saving are not in my vocabulary!

Joe.

14. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've got 3 iPads :cool:

And yes, the iPad does everything the iPhone already does, but once you use the iPad for a while, your iPhone screen will feel extremely cramped. And the iPad does it better, and far more of it. I don't get this argument at all. My bicycle gets me to work just as well as my BMW does.

15. Jophster thread starter macrumors member

True.. although like you (as a movie editor) I think we are both waiting for iMovie for iPad, no?!
    Also, aside from a camera, all the limitations that people complain about the iPad are easily solved with software updates be they official or jailbreaks.

Joe

16. Jophster thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I think after what has been said here I think I have come to my verdict.

I am going get my iMac on the day of my results if I get the grades (and revise instead of being on Forums!) and then wait till the announcement of the new iPhone, if I am head over heels about that then I'll plunk for it, if not, I will wait and go for an iPad instead! :)

Thanks for all the advice guys! I will let you know how I get on in August! Wish me luck haha!

Joe.

17. skate71290 macrumors 6502a

Made me laugh, i have to ask, why have you got three iPads? Are you buying hundreds so they are delayed in the UK? :p

18. aumnevergiveup macrumors member

aumnevergiveup

i'll choose your second option ;)
    that's the best i think :D