Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Folder contains Excel Worksheets and it says cant find it.I opened Excel and found them but they are empty folders. How can i get them back.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
ok - were the folders on an external drive of some sort? If so, plug the device back in (unplug it first if you have to).

If they were on your internal hard drive, try running disk utility and checking repairs and permissions on that drive

Alternatively, restore from backup. You do have a backup?

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
you need to be awair that i am a techno idiot.
My backup is My Passport. I went to finder clicked on My Passport an jus dates came up without names. The name on the folder is Privite keep out and it is not in finder or the trash.it just dissapered.

Last edited:

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
Suspect that online is not going to be your best option for getting this fixed. See if you can get an appointment at an Apple store or find a local expert who can actually look at your system.

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
What backup system do you guys use? I am using Time Machine.

FreemanW

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2012
The Real Northern California

Carbon Copy Cloner and an external USB 3.0 hard disk drive.

I also run Time Machine to an Apple TimeCapsule . . . . but I do not depend upon Time Machine, I use CCC when a need arises.

There is a free software title called SuperDuper. I've never used it or poked around in it.

Then there is always copy and paste. :eek:

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012

Have you tried navigating backwards in time with Time Machine? Your files should be there depending I guess on how long you've been running it.

I have had very good experience with Time Machine including a full restore of my files when upgrading to a new iMac, bringing everything I had on the old iMac to it.

420benz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Have you tried navigating backwards in time with Time Machine? Your files should be there depending I guess on how long you've been running it.

I have had very good experience with Time Machine including a full restore of my files when upgrading to a new iMac, bringing everything I had on the old iMac to it.
Just checked TM and i dont think it was ever set up.I will Google TM set up and see if i can find the file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.