Big oops! Flashed 4870 with wrong bios image - Please help

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by makoffee, Jun 7, 2009.

1. makoffee macrumors newbie

Hey everybody.

I guess curiosity got the best of me and I attempted to re-flash my working Sapphire 4870 with a different bios image provided here, and now when I boot I dont get any video. :( Just a black screen and no chime.

After this I tried putting in my old 7200gt to try and get it to boot so I could reflash back to the old firmware - but as long as the 4870 is installed I get no video at all. As soon as I take it out everything works fine.

Please advise me on what to do next.

Thanks
    -Makoffee

2. ?uestion macrumors newbie

grats you just made an expensive paper weight

You can fix it by putting it in a pc computer with PCi-E

Don't feel too bad I did the same thing, my efforts in trying not to spend the 400 bucks for a 4870 were just tossed out the window. especially since I can't find anyone with a computer that will run with the 4870 in it.

good luck

3. makoffee thread starter macrumors newbie

sad results...

After having my brother come over with his PCI-Express motherboard - its become clear I've bricked my 4870. When the videocard is installed in his system it does the same thing it does on my mac... prevents the system from booting. Just a black screen in both the PC or Mac pro. Lights fans everything else works. Just no booting.

:( :confused: :mad:

Looks like my next step is to RMA the card. In the mean time I'll probably try another card while I wait for the Sapphire to get back.

Anyone have a suggestion on what the most trouble free card would be?

4. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

You need a pci card
    There pretty cheap. What you do is you put only the pci card. The you switch the prioritiy to take the pci card in the bios. Put both in and flash.

5. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

Ouch. I'll be selling my Mac 4870 pretty soon. My GTX 285 is on the way. Are we even allowed to sell stuff on MR?

6. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Looks like you've met the requirements for the Marketplace... :)

7. justflie macrumors 6502a

justflie

8. makoffee thread starter macrumors newbie

???

What card do you have? :D

I know people have suggested using a computer with PCI video or at least some kind of integrated video. However thats exactly what I've tried. But the fact that we're not even getting a start-up beep when installed on PC is a bad sign.

9. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

One you can't flash :D

10. makoffee thread starter macrumors newbie

har har

Yes I imagine the $350 model available at the apple store will be the least troublesome. :p

But I was asking weather I should be going for another Sapphire card or possibly one of the XFX cards. I really just want all the features to work.