Big price drop for used GSM iPhone 4's?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by firewood, Jan 11, 2011.

1. firewood macrumors 604

With all the AT&T iPhone customers expected to switch to Verizon iPhone 4's (due to major problems with AT&T's coverage in certain areas, if nothing else), does anyone expect a extra huge glut of used GSM iPhones to hit the market next month?

This should drop the price of used iPhones through the floor.

If you have one that you aren't or won't be using soon, better sell it now while you can.

2. Azadre macrumors 6502

Sure hope so. You can buy the iPhone 4 unlocked in Canada for $650. Why would I pay more than $400 for a used iPhone 4 locked to AT&T?

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

AT&T's network problems aren't wide spread. It all depends on the area that you live in (ie. SFO, NYC). Therefore, there might be a good amount of iPhone 4's up on eBay and CraigsList, but I don't think you're going to see a drastic drop in price for them. Now when the next rendition of the iPhone is released, that would be a different story. It's not like the VZW iPhone is the next generation phone. It's simply a CDMA iPhone.

4. zipster macrumors 6502

5. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

Not a chance. Absolutely no way, iPhones are too popular & the "AT&T issue" is a non-issue out in the real world.

Dream on, iPhone prices are not going to collapse.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Resale value will most likely be higher. GSM phones are always in much more higher demand than CDMA. It's also much easier to sell, people are weary of buying used CDMA phones.

7. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Resale would probably be higher for the GSM iPhone compared to the CDMA version, but I think the current resale value would take a slight hit downward.

People in the US now have two carriers to choose from instead of just one, so they aren't forced to buying just one version of the phone. Additionally, I would expect a slight upward influx of AT&T iPhones being listed for sale as a considerable amount of people attempt to switch carriers and recoup some of the cost for an early contract termination. This could affect the value of resell as each seller would have more competition in the online market (market saturation).

-C

8. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I agree. It might take a hit for the short term as people would be switching over but that's about it. A GSM iPhone isn't going to drop because a CDMA iPhone now exists, they're practically different phones since they can't be used on the same network(s).

9. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Competition will bring down the price on both carriers. This will be good for all iPhone users.