Big Problem, Broken MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gattz, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Gattz macrumors regular

I have the Early 2008, MBP and it just broke I think. About an hour ago, I did a software update, and the laptop restarted and installed the updates properly. Everything was working fine, but then I wanted to go to my Windows side using Bootcamp, so I do as usual and restart the laptop. So when I restart it, the screen goes black as usual, but then it stays black... I've had this happen before, but I usually just hold the power button to shut off, and then start it up again and everything works fine. This time when I did this however, the screen stayed black like it wasn't even turned on. I tried turning it on and off, with and without the battery, and with different RAM too; nothing worked.

I already made an appointment for Thursday for the Genius bar, since tomorrow there were no spots, but does anyone have a clue on how to fix this or what is wrong? I really don't want my HD to be broken because I have no external HD, so nothing is saved...

2. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

Well in case anyone cared, I went to the Apple store and found out it had to do with the logic board and Nvidia graphics card. I'm suppose to get it back within 7-10 days. This crap would've cost over 500 dollars if I didn't have Applecare...

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

No it would have been free. The NVidia GPU in those MacBook Pro's has been known to be defective. It is NVidia's fault, not Apple's.

4. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

I don't know, I saw the receipt and I asked him about it and he said that it was free because I have Applecare.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

What he told you is incorrect. They have a repair extension plan to cover all defective 8600M GT-related failures.

But... This is not important, all that is important is that your computer is being repaired for free!:D

6. Gattz thread starter macrumors regular

I guess, I wish I was they told us about this before. I'm going back to school this Saturday, and without a laptop for first week or so will be a hassle.