BIG PROBLEM Early 2011 MBP 15"'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mybuild, Apr 2, 2011.

1. mybuild macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

I got my first MBP 15"ever two days ago. and i was working FINE.
    Now i put in a Intel 510, in place of the HD, and now i want to install OSX on it

I put in the CD the setup start, select language etc. And then it asks me where to install it on to, wich disk.

Problem is my MBP does not seen to recognise the Intel 510 at all. I cannot select it From the list (there is no list...)

Please help me fast, since im doing it all right now. I did a SMC reset, and i started up using C and using alt...

regards:confused:

2. DarkFlame macrumors regular

I know the Intel 510s were having tons of issues and even the big companies couldnt get the compatibility to work. Search google for Intel 510 and 2011 MBP compatability issues and I'm sure you'll find an answer.

3. macmikey2 macrumors regular

macmikey2

Did you format the Intel to a Mac partition? If not, it most likely is Fat32 or NTFS.

OS X will not install on those.

4. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Go to Disk Utility and "Erase" the SSD, format it for HFS+.

THEN you'll be able to install.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Go to Disk Utility and "Erase" the SSD, format it for HFS+.

THEN you'll be able to install.

6. mybuild thread starter macrumors newbie

So i should use a normal PC to format the disk into NFS?
    Remind u that im new to mac so i do nt know how i can format the one and only disk in the mbp that has no OS on it yet?

How can i format it then? It does not ask me to format anything.

Any suggestions?

7. matwue macrumors member

There is no need for another PC or anything, you can use Disk Utility in the OSX installer (you can find it in the "utilities" section in the top menu).

In Disk Utility, select your SSD and use the "Erase" function. Make sure to select "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" (which is HFS+, the native Mac file system) as seen in the picture below. After erasing, your SSD should show up in the list, ready for installation.

[​IMG]

8. mybuild thread starter macrumors newbie

Thats what i call a clear explenation! Thanks alot for that!

9. mfram macrumors 65816

You also have to make sure the partition format is "GUID Partition Format" or you won't be able to boot from it either.

10. mybuild thread starter macrumors newbie

Where can i find that?

11. Cpt.N00B macrumors newbie

select the drive in disk utilities on install dvd, and then click on partition ( right of erase tab) select 1 partition, name it and select mac os x extended (journaled) and then click on option (it is below the partition tab). Choose GUID partition talbe and then ok. At last partition the drive. This is the right way of doing it. :)