Big problem installing windows 7 bootcamp, in desperate need of your genius.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lannim, Apr 27, 2011.

1. lannim, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011

lannim macrumors member

:confused:So, I know this is a known issue, but everything google spits at me is other people trying to figure it out who cant. Hopefully one of you fine members can help me.

system-imac i7 2.93

trying to install windows 7 home premium via bootcamp

after i create the partition and the system restarts, it says windows is loading files and eventually goes into the windows setup. However, before it ever even starts the installation process, i get this error message.

"A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing. If you have a floppy
    disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note: If the windows
    installation media is in the CD/DVD drive, you can safely remove it for this
    step."

followed by a scan for the drivers and another ***** you. I think it has something to do with sata drivers, but i have a very very vague understanding of what to do about about..please help a brotha out

2. lannim thread starter macrumors member

^^and i should probably add that it was a dell OEM copy, but in my defense when i bought it i had no clue what that meant lol

3. P Mentior macrumors regular

Here is your problem. The disk you are using is (probably) specially made to work only with the hardware it was sold with. Apple does the same thing with the disk that come with their computers, it will only work with a computer of the same model that it came with.

4. lannim thread starter macrumors member

sigh..i knew it had something to do with being configured for dell pcs but i was hoping it was just a simple driver that i could find and get on a flash drive..so im pretty much screwed then i suppose