Big problem with rmbp? Hopefully not..

efib

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Hello,

I just bought a mid-2014 rmbp with dgpu , the problem I have is that when it's charging and I lightly stroke around the trackpad and pretty much everywhere but the speakers , I can feel something magnetizing my hand and it feels a little numb, with the fact that only happens when it's charging I'm really worried that something is really off with my mac, I have it for 15 days now so it really is frustrating :/
Is it normal? Do other people experiencing it?
Thank you,

Efi

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
Hello,

I just bought a mid-2014 rmbp with dgpu , the problem I have is that when it's charging and I lightly stroke around the trackpad and pretty much everywhere but the speakers , I can feel something magnetizing my hand and it feels a little numb, with the fact that only happens when it's charging I'm really worried that something is really off with my mac, I have it for 15 days now so it really is frustrating :/
Is it normal? Do other people experiencing it?
Thank you,

Efi
It's just a grounding issue - I guess you're using the short magsafe plug (the duckhead) rather than the long cable?

The short plug is not grounded, so it's normal to feel a slight electrical "vibration". If it annoys you - use the long plug instead and it'll go away (the long one is grounded).

efib

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Thank you both for the response :)
Actually I'm using the cord but I have an adapter from american to european so I will start by changing it first and I'll see how it will go, I see that it's common-ish , right? It's my first mac and I want everything to be perfect so I'm always worried :/

someoneoutthere

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2014
The Great Lakes State
I hear you. I've felt it a few times traveling overseas while using a converter/adaptor. Never felt it while the machine is running, though. Only when I turn it off AND leave it plugged in/charging. Other than that, it doesn't happen at all.
Best,

efib

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 8, 2012
Today I plugged in at my hometown house's power socket and it didn't do that! Everything's back to normal now :) Thank you for your help :)

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
I used to experience this with my macbook pro. I also got shocks when my arm very lightly touched the corner. It doesn't happen anymore for some reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.