Big problem with rmbp? Hopefully not..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by efib, Oct 9, 2014.

1. efib macrumors member

Hello,

I just bought a mid-2014 rmbp with dgpu , the problem I have is that when it's charging and I lightly stroke around the trackpad and pretty much everywhere but the speakers , I can feel something magnetizing my hand and it feels a little numb, with the fact that only happens when it's charging I'm really worried that something is really off with my mac, I have it for 15 days now so it really is frustrating :/
    Is it normal? Do other people experiencing it?
    Thank you,

Efi

2. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It's just a grounding issue - I guess you're using the short magsafe plug (the duckhead) rather than the long cable?

The short plug is not grounded, so it's normal to feel a slight electrical "vibration". If it annoys you - use the long plug instead and it'll go away (the long one is grounded).

3. NathanA macrumors 6502a

What Brian said. Use the included 3-prong plug.

-- Nathan

4. efib thread starter macrumors member

Thank you both for the response :)
    Actually I'm using the cord but I have an adapter from american to european so I will start by changing it first and I'll see how it will go, I see that it's common-ish , right? It's my first mac and I want everything to be perfect so I'm always worried :/

5. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

I hear you. I've felt it a few times traveling overseas while using a converter/adaptor. Never felt it while the machine is running, though. Only when I turn it off AND leave it plugged in/charging. Other than that, it doesn't happen at all.
    Best,

6. efib thread starter macrumors member

Today I plugged in at my hometown house's power socket and it didn't do that! Everything's back to normal now :) Thank you for your help :)

7. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

I used to experience this with my macbook pro. I also got shocks when my arm very lightly touched the corner. It doesn't happen anymore for some reason.