Big problem with the magsafe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nerdyiman, Jul 18, 2014.

1. nerdyiman macrumors member

These days my magsafe is not working correctly, i tried almost everything i think!
    when i plug the magsafe, first the LED turns green, then orange to recharge the Mac, but after 10 sec the LED turns off.
    The only way i found to recharge it is to completely turn off the Mac and plug the magsafe to charge it.
    Its impossible to charge while the Mac is opened.
    I did a reset to the SMC but it seem that its not working,
    I have a MacBook Pro 13" mid 2012 with all the latest updates.

Hope there is a solution to not buy a new battery or a magsafe!

2. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Take it to an apple store and get them to try another power adapter. There is no other solution, it will be a hardware issue somewhere. Hope its the adapter or battery and not the laptop itself.

3. nerdyiman thread starter macrumors member

I hope so, but it's weird that the laptot charge when he is turned off, don't you think ? what's the difference between the mac charging and turned on and the mac charging and turned off ?

4. nerdyiman thread starter macrumors member

I forgot to mention that when the mac ls 100% fully charged and i open it with the magsafe pluged ln, the magsafe stay green

5. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

When charging the battery and running the computer the power draw on the adapter is higher than when it is only charging the battery while the computer is off.

Sounds like either the power controller or the adapter itself is faulty. Have it checked out at an Apple store with another charger to see if you can rule out any fault with the laptop itself.

6. nerdyiman thread starter macrumors member

Just wondering, if the problem is from the laptop itself the apple store will repair for free or i will have to pay for this ..?

7. dwfaust, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  8. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

9. dwfaust, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  10. bennibeef macrumors 6502

Is it still charging even the LED is off? I had a problem with mine the LED is most the time off just when I wiggeled it turned on but it charged the time through.

The thing was, just needed to clean the connector. I think in my case just one of the pins was so dirty which drives the status LED that it would not connect.

If yours is not charging, you should bring it to someone. Try with another adapter?

11. nerdyiman thread starter macrumors member

Nope when the LED is off the battery is no more charging

12. PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

This is probably not the problem, but is the MagSafe cable frayed? Sometimes when I plug my MagSafe in and accidentally touch the cable, the light will go off until I unplug and reinsert the MagSafe charger.

13. nerdyiman thread starter macrumors member

Well when i unplug and plug the magsafe again the LED don't goes on at all, but goes on when i unplug it from the outlet, the LED turns on again then turns off

14. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

That suggests to me that the adapter is popping its internal fuse in response to a fault. Unplugging from the wall causes the circuit to reset, allowing you to plug in again so the light comes on... but then it fails and cuts out.

It sounds like the charger is detecting a fault and turning off. The way to check whether it is the adapter or the computer is to take both into an Apple store and test them.

Power a store computer with your charger and see if it shuts off, and also power your laptop with a store charger and see if it works. With those two combinations you can determine which thing is causing a fault.

Whether it will cost you any money depends on whether you have Applecare, and also maybe if the store manager decides to replace the charger for free (assuming it's the charger that is broken) if you are not long outside Applecare or if there's a known fault recall on the charger itself. You'll have to find that out at the store though.

15. nerdyiman, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014

nerdyiman thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for you're answer!
    So it's impossible that a reset of the SMC could resolve the problem ?
    But as i told you when the battery is 100% fully charged after shutted down the mac i can use my computer with the magsafe pluged and working

Edit : I got a new MagSafe and everything is just working perfectly :)