Big Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brandonthequick, Dec 31, 2008.

1. brandonthequick macrumors newbie

i just bought a macbook from someone and i wanted to clear the information, when i put the OS disc in to reformat it was giving me "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer" so someone told me to erase my HD to reinstall it, i erased my HD and tried again and still got the same thing so now my macbook wont boot up because theres nothing on the HD...why is the disc saying that and how can i fix it?

2. dv3 macrumors newbie

What macbook is it? the newer unibody macbooks/pros have different leopard restore discs than the older models due to the trackpad. maybey the person u got it from swapped the discs by accident.

3. brandonthequick thread starter macrumors newbie

4. finnschi macrumors 6502

Juup that exact error happend to me when I tried to use my Unibodys Leopard Disk with my older White Macbook(tiger) !! So you have to get the RETAIL version of Leopard! it should say on the disk what Build it is!

My Unibody macbook disk says: Mac os version 10.5.5
    Disk Version 1.0
    2z691-6291-A(build nr?)
    :apple:

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The restore discs that come with macs are for that specific model and revision. Chances are you got the wrong ones. Only restore DVDs for that generation of blackbook from ebay, or a retail DVD can reinstall.

6. brandonthequick thread starter macrumors newbie

so whats my options? if i bring it to apple will they do it for free? or do i have to pay 140 for a new one

7. finnschi macrumors 6502

I guess if you go to the apple store, they will probably give you new Disks... just ask a genius, and tell them your story, they might want you to give the old DvD's back! you might want to say that you just lost them... or they will not give you a new DvD because the old one is still at the old owners mansion :D

8. brandonthequick thread starter macrumors newbie

I made an appointment for friday, its a easy fix right? will they fix it right there or make me do it myself? im new with macs this is my first one so im kind of clueless been using PC my whole life.

I have the discs, should i bring them or leave them at home? also can they change the computer to my name like the serial number and apple care?

9. finnschi macrumors 6502

you need a receipt for that and maybe a note from the seller.. like your receipt fro t he seller and I think the seller needs to transfer that information to you.. not sure though!

just ask the guy on friday! :D I am a genius myself, but only since 2 weeks so i am still learning ;)

And just take the Disks with you! you just got to do some sweet talking !

10. brandonthequick thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah well the guy i bought it from wont respond to any of my messages and he told me his company gave him the laptop and the receipt is on the box or something

11. brandonthequick thread starter macrumors newbie

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i don't think anyone on here could say with any accuracy what they'll do. they only thing consistent about mac geniuses is their inconsistency.