Big problems after using monolingual

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jd637, Jan 17, 2010.

1. jd637 macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie so bare with me. O.K. So I was trying to free up some space. Only 13 gb free. Alot of people said to use monolingual. I left english, American english and Spanish checked. Well now I can't open finder, my hard drive is not on the desk top and almost everything; tool bars, system pref. looks to be in Dutch. I can see my hd in system pref. under start up volume. And guess what, I didn't back up. I know bad mistake. I'm on a imac g5 running 10.5.8. and I need help bad. I'm not the greatest on this thing so be as specific as you can. Thanks

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Are you able to boot from your Leopard disc?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. jd637 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was kind of thinking that's what I need to do. My buddy took the disk with him when he moved. I might go buy one today. You think I should go ahead and upgrade to snow leopard or stick with leopard till I get this straightened out? If I do the install will it duplicate things and take up even more space? I can't get to applications or disk utilities to do a clean sweep.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Snow Leopard is Intel only, so you will not be able to run it on your iMac G5
    I think you will need to boot from a Leopard retail disc and do an 'archive and install'

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. jd637 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dawg

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Sounds like you'll need to reinstall your operating system using the Archive and Install option. Monolingual can really mess things up if the wrong options are selected, as you can see.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the danger with using these types of utilities. Ones that muck with stuff apple has not provided an option to uninstall in the first place.

I've seen a fair number of threads over on the apple discussion boards of people who messed up their systems with monolinqual so much so that only a reinstall fixed the problem

Next time don't try to save a gigabyte or two and instead purchase a larger HD.

If you go the reinstall route (which sounds like you'll have too) make sure you pick the archive and install method so you don't lose any of your data/programs/files

8. jd637 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You. I'll try a reinstall as soon as I get my disc back from my buddy.

9. jd637 thread starter macrumors newbie

Reinstall

I was on the phone with Apple for about 40 minutes and they couldn't help me either. Got the Leapord software coming for the reinstall.