Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Hi

I new to this forums :rolleyes:so don't get angry over asking stupid questions:p.
Basically I'm willing to buy a new iPhone 3G but im just wondering is it worth all that money ? I mean I know its a great device but there are new phones like Samsung Omnia or SE Xperia X1 coming out soon (I KNOW THIS IS MAC FORUM BUT THESE ARE THE PHONES I CONSIDER) the main thing is the battery life as this just makes the iPhone really bad (1 day of battery life) anyone got more ? Another thing is that if you switch all the wi-fi, 3g etc will it boost up the battery life at least for few hours or just a small change(i.e 30mins to 1hr) ?

And also i read about 2 post about iPhone 3G 16GB being slower on dowloading and installing applications is that true with the 16GB owners because i was wondering which to buy 8 or 16 GB and whether 8gb will be enough althorugh i dont have a lot music but the future applications can be large ???

Sorry for any noob questions and thanks for your time and opinion .:rolleyes:

CheesePuff

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
Southwest Florida, USA
I just sold my white 3G iPhone on eBay and bought a new black 16 GB model just because I wanted the color change. First thing I did was drain the battery till it shut off itself and died then put it on the dock connected to a wall outlet and had it charge overnight. After that I get AMAZING battery life compared to my white one. I have 3G on but Bluetooth and Location Services off but after 13 hours standby and 1 hour 30 minutes use it just then showed the small notch missing off the battery indicator. It's been like this for 4 days now and don't know what the deal is but it's battery life is amazing compared to the white one I had.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Hi

I new to this forums :rolleyes:so don't get angry over asking stupid questions:p.
Basically I'm willing to buy a new iPhone 3G but im just wondering is it worth all that money ? I mean I know its a great device but there are new phones like Samsung Omnia or SE Xperia X1 coming out soon (I KNOW THIS IS MAC FORUM BUT THESE ARE THE PHONES I CONSIDER) the main thing is the battery life as this just makes the iPhone really bad (1 day of battery life) anyone got more ? Another thing is that if you switch all the wi-fi, 3g etc will it boost up the battery life at least for few hours or just a small change(i.e 30mins to 1hr) ?

And also i read about 2 post about iPhone 3G 16GB being slower on dowloading and installing applications is that true with the 16GB owners because i was wondering which to buy 8 or 16 GB and whether 8gb will be enough althorugh i dont have a lot music but the future applications can be large ???

Sorry for any noob questions and thanks for your time and opinion .:rolleyes:

If I have a choice to start over, I would have gone with a first gen phone without contract.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I love my iphone 3G but I would wait honestly. There are so many bugs and reception problems(in some areas) that it can be a very frustrating experience to have one.

There is going to be a software update this month(Sept 9th I believe). I'd wait and see if that improves anything first.

docal97

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
Southampton
I have found the iphone battery life to be reasonable. I use it throughout the day and the battery seems to last just fine. I charge it in the car and at home and it meets all of my needs in that regards.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
Worth "all that money"? You mean $200? Sure, it's an awesome deal for a PDA/Smartphone of its class.

dacreativeguy

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2007
It's often difficult to be an early adopter of Apple products. In time, you learn not to rush out and wave your money around.

kstefanick

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
California
Slightly Jacked

Agreed 100%. IMO, no other phone can beat it.

I second that. My boss had some "top of the line" PDA phone through T-Mobile and I played with for a few minutes and it was like playing on Windows 98. I talked him into getting an iPhone (the orig. one) and every day for a month he would tell me how amazing it is and some new feature he found on it. Now he tells me every other day about how amazing it is :)

I thought about buying another PDA phone or just a normal flip phone but there's no way I could go back. I'm too spoiled.

OP: I would wait until the bugs are fixed. Or wait another year and then there will be a new phone out. I would also go for the 16GB because it's only $100 more, pretty d@mn good deal. Once the bugs are fixed I'm going to get a black 3G 16GB ;)

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
You know what's important to consider is that with the iPhone, you are constantly going to get software updates fixing bugs, adding new features, etc. With the other phones, you just won't get that.

Mike007

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2008
Thanks guys for help, few of you said that first gen of iPhone is better then maybe I will go for that (however im from London) and I dunno where to find one maybe on Ebay but thanks anyway.
I mean what I will probably do is take a contract see how I LIKE that phone and then if its too buggy then return under 14 days.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.