Big Safari Bug?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fluidedge, Mar 25, 2008.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

Hi, i'm not sure if i'm just being thick or whether this is a problem:

When i'm on Gmail's web interface and i want to compose a new message i click on the body of the message and try to type something. I press SHIFT and a letter to begin a new sentence. But then the flashing cursor disappears and you can't write anything until you click back in the box.

Its the same if i press CAPS LOCK and try to type a letter. I can type in lowercase as much as i want, but as soon as i try to type a capital letter the flashing cursor disappears and i can't write anything.

Am i being stupid or is this a bug? Have i pushed a button on the keyboard that trips something by mistake?

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I rarely write emails in Gmail (I only really use it for signing up for one-off things), but I've just tried to compose an email using Safari 3.1 and it was all but impossible. My cursor kept leaping to the To and Subject fields.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

This is a Google-recognised bug with Safari 3.1

4. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

Strange

It seems to work perfectly on Safari 3.1 (and today's Webkit nightly) on 10.5.2 on a C2D Macbook.

I'd not noticed any problems on my iMac G5 either but haven't done any specific testing.

I've just briefly tested on my parents' iBook G4 (10.5.2, Safari 3.1, never had any webkit nightlys installed) and I can't find any problem.

Have Google published the bug details anywhere? How do I/we reproduce it?

Edit: thinking about it, is it to do with having gmail keyboard shortcuts on? Neither of the gmail accounts I tested with have them turned on.

Edit2: all the computers have SafariBlock 2.1 installed and running with the EasyList filterset. I can't imagine this makes any difference at all, and if it did I'd expect it to be detrimental rather than making it work!