Big silver padlock on startup: What does it mean?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by h4lp m3, Jul 29, 2011.

1. h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

I got this old school G4 and went to go start it up and there's a big ol silver lock on the screen... Wait about 15 seconds and the Finder guy face ;) will flash for a millisecond and it will unlock... then it will lock itself in another 15 seconds. :confused: WTF?!?! :confused::confused:

2. h4lp m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

A few helpful links:

More generally, try this and this.

More specifically, it looks like you've got a Mac with an Open Firmware password. Helpful hints here and here

4. h4lp m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I understand, but mine doesn't have any field to enter anything in! The padlock flashes from locked to unlocked.
    What is that supposed to be http://google.com I don't know why it's censored. :confused::confused:

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Did you try resetting PRAM as suggested by the links above?

When powering on, hold Cmd+Option+P+R. (Tricky to do with one hand on a qwerty keyboard, but I just did it the other day). Keep holding until you hear the startup sound a SECOND time. You should then be able to log in normally.

BTW, the way you would have gotten the field to enter something in was to hold option I believe.

6. vvaldez330, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2015

vvaldez330 macrumors newbie

vvaldez330

Can sone one tell me what else I can do if control commands dont work I held down all tabs and nothing happened what do I do next if nothing works

7. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Remove one bank of memory and restart. Shut down and replace the memory. If it is an Open Firmware password, that should clear it.