Big size LCD TV for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hokuto, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Hokuto macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am looking around for a big size display for a mac pro, 30 to 40 inches or there about.

Is any of you currently using an LCD TV with a mac pro (geforce 8800 GT) without problems?

From what I can see so far big size LCD TVs are cheaper than big size LCD Monitors. Yes most LCD TVs will stop at 1920x1200 while montiors can go much higher. My main use will be music software (e.g. Logic Studio) and some game.

Thank you for any help you can give me

2. Hokuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

In terms of TVs so far my reference in terms of size and price are

Samsung LE 40A556P (£590)
    LG 42LG5010 (580)

Do you guys know if they work fine at 1920-1200 with a mac pro running a Geforce 8800 GT?

Cheers

3. Hokuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like I'm opting for 2 x 24 inch monitors instead one big TV

I'm trying to keep costs down, all I need is two screens that are good enough to mainly display software applications like Logic Pro 8, etc...

My choice now is on 2 Dell 24" monitors, their cheap HD ones

Dell S2409W Full HD Monitor
    http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=180695

Any reason whey I shouldn't? Am I correct in thinking they will work with the 8800GT on the Mac Pro? I will give Dell a call to ask (if they knwo :))

4. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Talking to yourself? :D

Anyway, you are definitely far better off buying computer LCD monitors rather than consumer TV LCD's which I don't think display information that clearly (used DVI on my 1080p Bravia, not very sharp at all, good enough for movies, text...another story altogether).

You will be fine with those 2 Dell's screens. They use the standard DVI input, so they will plug into your 8800GT no problems.

8800GT spec pages http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8800gt.html

5. Hokuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi sammich,
    finally someone to talk to instead just myself :D

Yes I thought they would be fine and I'm pretty sure it is the best way to go.
    Should hopefully receive mac and monitors during next week and set it all up

cheers :)

6. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would highly recommend against using the 2 Dells. The resolutions is a lot different. I would highly recommend using a 24" 1920 x 1200 resolution. That has more pixels than HD and it standard. The HD output is a little slimmer, 1920 x 1080. People have reported problems with using 1920 x 1080 monitors. Stick with standard computer LCDs. You will most likely have problems.

7. Hokuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi guys, thanks

Sadly I saw the last post too late and this morning monitors were ordered.

I saw some post online about people using 1080 monitors just fine so hopefully they will work for me too. I won't need to run higher resolution than that, if I do, stuff on screen will be hard to read for me.

Am I receive mac and monitors by the end of the week. Hopefully it all works and I'll post back here with the results.

Cheers

8. Hokuto thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok
    I finally got both monitors and the Mac delivered!

I simply connected the two monitors to the two DVI-D outs on the mac ( I didn't used the Single Link cables that came with the DELLs, instead I used Dual Link DVI-D cables)... and YES! It all worked when I switched the MAC and the monitors on, I didn't need to do any setup, both monitors were automatically used and it all looks really nice.

I have to say these monitors (for me) look like a the right choice, cheapest 24inch I could find including shipping and 3 years warranty, HDMI, VGA, DVI-D input. I didn't notice any issue with viewing angles so far but I was too busy doing other stuff so I double check on that.

Full screen at 1920 x 1080 and to be honest I wouldn't want any higher resolution than that, any higher and text/numbers would be too small to read from where I sit. So that gives me 3840 x 1080 native screen real estate.
    Nice as long as it will all keep working :)

Thanks guys