Big speed difference between the new and old Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by h9826790, Aug 7, 2015.

1. h9826790, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I have 2 Time Capsules, a 2T last generation TC (the flat one), and a 3T current generation TC (the tall one).

I use both in time machine. I let it automatically backup the data in both TC alternatively.

However, in the last few months, the old 2T TC getting slower and slower. At some point, it even can't finish the backup. So I use airport utility to erase the disk and start everything again.

And this is the screen capture of the backup speed.
    TC backup speed.jpg

As you can see. The big red part (in Last 24 Hours) shows the 3T TC can finish a 1.3T backup in around 15hours, and the upload speed stay at around 30MB/s. However, the upload speed of the 2T TC is much slower and unstable.

All the TC is connected via cable. In fact, the 3T TC is connected via the 2T TC (as follow).
    Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 02.19.26.jpg
    So, if that's the networks problem. The 3T TC can't stay away from the problem because all the data feed via the 2T TC.

I really have no idea what's happening. Both TC get backup from the same data source (unlikely OSX, Mac related), same network. So, the biggest suspect is the old TC is not working well. Anyone had this issue before? Is the HDD dying? (There is no sign of HDD failure such as noise etc) Or the TC itself (may be a controller inside) cause the problem?

There is no error shows in Airport utility, also no signs of overheating. The fan is running at normal RPM. Really nothing abnormal apart from the extremely low backup speed.

Million thanks in advance for any information, suggestions, recommendations...

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@h9826790 I would recommend doing a reset on the older Time Capsule as well swapping the old and the new Time Capsule out.

3. h9826790, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

h9826790 thread starter macrumors 604

h9826790

Thanks for the suggestion. I did a factory reset and setup every again, nil help.

Swap TC's position, let the 3T TC become the master router, also nil help.

Also, roll back to the previous firmware also does nothing on this issue.

It's really strange now. If I made a 1.3T backup, the initial upload rate is >20MB/s, and then slowly drop to zero. This point happens at around 60-100GB backed up. Then the TC disk is not accessible any more, TM stop backup, if I manually start the back up again. It can't locate the disk. I also can't connect the disk in finder until I restart / reset the TC.

Also, at this point, I can't restart the TC in Airport Utility. I can still see it, select it. However, the TC will just flash orange light but doing nothing. The network still there, the disk still can access, and it won't restart until I switch the TC's power off.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Two critical points here, having the newer TC as the router will offer better routing performance but may not affect reliability. When you rolled back the firmware what did you go to? 7.6.3 and 7.6.4 are about the same in terms of reliability in my experience, but 7.6.1 has always been rock solid for me!

5. h9826790 thread starter macrumors 604

h9826790

Back to the original config (the old TC as router with direct connection to the Mac) now + use 7.6.1 firmware.

And here is the result.
    Screen Shot 2015-08-10 at 10.52.49.jpg

The TC start a backup with around 20MB/s, and then slowly decrease speed to around zero (The red triangle stuff on the Last 24 Hours area). This time it stops at around 46GB position.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

My guess is that the Time Capsule is starting to fail as the units here do not exhibit any of those symptoms. Do you have AppleCare on a Apple TV, Mac, or iPad by chance? If so the TC is covered on that agreement provided it was purchased no more than 2 years prior to the date of the AppleCare agreement.

7. h9826790 thread starter macrumors 604

h9826790

Thanks for the information. I own 3 TC in total, it's the very 1st time to have this symptom.

No apple care on hand now. And the 2T TC was purchased long time ago (just after it launched). So I guess I am out of luck now. May be I just remove the HDD, put that in my Mac Pro, and use the TC as an Airport Extereme (until it die).

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try plugging in a USB hard drive to see if it is limited to the internal SATA controller.

9. h9826790 thread starter macrumors 604

h9826790

Good point, will try that. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Report back with the findings!