Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drmeatball

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
Ellicott City, MD
I have a backup of the entire thing so I'm not freaking out (yet). In addition to all of my mp3/m4a amassed over the years, all of my personal projects are in here as well. Full time musician ftw.

Before BS it looked like
Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 10.53.34 PM.png

After BS it looks like
Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 10.53.49 PM.png

Copying and pasting ~/Music/Music/Music Library && Media into the correct spot doesn't do anything, just wipes out what is placed there and looks like the After BS shot.

Help!

drmeatball

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2019
Ellicott City, MD
So I copy over the back-up, I try to import the library and it's essentially empty. The files are still there [phew] but all of the actual library info is gone. I had about 100 playlists for various purposes. Oye vey.

Screen Shot 2020-11-14 at 11.02.06 PM.png

eldho

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2011
I suggest that you make a backup of your backup as soon as possible in case anything else happens

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
So I copy over the back-up, I try to import the library and it's essentially empty. The files are still there [phew] but all of the actual library info is gone. I had about 100 playlists for various purposes. Oye vey.

Something seems odd with the Library file it should be "Music Library.musiclibrary" your screen shot shows without the ".musiclibrary" extension

Not sure if that makes a difference?

If you have an old iTunes library you can import the palylists and playcounts etc with the Option Key held down when opening the Music app - or if you have Music library back up from Catalina you can copy the library file to your music folder.

Music Folder and Library.png

macdos

Suspended
Oct 15, 2017
Something seems odd with the Library file it should be "Music Library.musiclibrary" your screen shot shows without the ".musiclibrary" extension

Not sure if that makes a difference?

If you have an old iTunes library you can import the palylists and playcounts etc with the Option Key held down when opening the Music app - or if you have Music library back up from Catalina you can copy the library file to your music folder.

View attachment 1667430
'tis because you have "show all file extensions" in your Finder prefs.

Reactions: mikzn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.