Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qua

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
I use vintage Pixelgenius PhotoKit plugins. These still work flawlessly in Photoshop 2021 in Catalina. The three plugins are now free, here: http://www.pixelgenius.com
Can anyone here help me by testing these in Photoshop 2021 in Big Sur on an intel Mac? This would be greatly appreciated.

buckrock

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2020
Fresno, California
Ok, short answer is yes the set of plugins work for me in Big Sur 11.0.1, 20B29. In particular I'm running Adobe PS 2021, 22.0.0. I put the PhotoKit Bundle into the path: Applications/Adobe Photoshop/Plug-ins as instructions say. At first the plugins worked but it couldn't show Preview. I quit PS and checked via Terminal if the plugins were quarantined and they were not. Started PS again and now the preview works.

I'd recommend checking your plugins' quarantine status using their instructions. My Big Sur drive has SIP and ARV security enabled; perhaps yours is disabled.

qua

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Oh my gosh, thank you. I do only B&W, having worked in the darkroom for over thirty years. The way Photokit works is perfect for my analog mind. I usually have an old laptop to check things like this out, but it doesn't qualify for Big Sur, so just simply updating the iMac wasn't worth the risk - the bulk of my work involves using Photokit (ignoring the other two plugins): jamescraigphotography.com. You have made an old-timer's day/month/year. Now if only the Beamer app would get updated I'd be set to go. Thanks again...

baxterbradford

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2021
Is anyone now having problems not being able to use Pixelgenius Sharpener with PS 2022? I'm on an M1 iMac with OSX 11.6.1. I've tried doing the Terminal command, but no success. I've no knowledge of Terminal. I changed to 2022 from the 2019 in the Adobe article.
sudo xattr-r-d com.apple.quarantine/Applications/Adobe\Photoshop\2022/Plug-ins/Photokit Sharpener 2
Baxters-iMac:~ baxter$ sudo xattr-r-d com.apple.quarantine/Applications/Adobe\Photoshop\2022/Plug-ins/PhotoKit Sharpener 2
Password: a key symbol appears after password. If I enter admin password
I get this
Password:
Then this
sudo: xattr-r-d: command not found
Baxters-iMac:~ baxter$
I've looked up about Terminal and passwords and got completely lost when given this article...! https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208050

richardallan

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2021
I've just spent about 2 hours trying to get this to work with no success. I am using an M1 Mac mini with OS 12.1 and Photoshop 2022. I have got to the stage where, if I open the intel version of Photoshop, the plugin appears under the Automate command but it fails to load...

qua

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Doing the same bit of research here and found something that is supposed to work great – I'm yet to actually do it yet. On M1 - go to Photoshop folder, select app icon, get info, check box that says to "Open in Rosetta". Then Photokit plugins work. One anomaly seems to be that the plugins themselves sometimes need to be "Dequarantined " (mentioned above). Do a search for Dequarantine V1.1.1 – it's Derag/drop, I can vouch for this part. Also opening by select/open brings up warnings with workaround for some non-app store items (after setting prefs off app=store only setting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.