Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWildShroom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
WTH is going on? Numerous applications not working. Mouse performance degrades and jumps around the screen (have to reboot) and has a "screen burn" of applications (again, reboot resolves).

Fed up already and will revert back to Catalina if they don't fix this stuff immediately.

• Wow
Reactions: decypher44

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
WTH is going on? Numerous applications not working. Mouse performance degrades and jumps around the screen (have to reboot) and has a "screen burn" of applications (again, reboot resolves).

Fed up already and will revert back to Catalina if they don't fix this stuff immediately.
Wow! Sorry you’re experiencing so many problems. Fortunately, mine is running pretty well so far. What do you have it installed on? What year, model?

Reactions: jazz1

TheWildShroom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Wow! Sorry you’re experiencing so many problems. Fortunately, mine is running pretty well, so far. What do you have it installed on? What year, model?
2016 iMac 27" 5k. i5 3.3 with 24RAM. This is my personal and development machine. When things "stop working" it's way past frustrating. I have yet to see any new features that make it worth the leap.

Reactions: nt5672

TheWildShroom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
When was the last time you did a clean install? Can make all the difference.
Oh gawd. Clean install. You have no idea (you probably do) how much I'd have to install 'fresh'. It would be an entire day of just installs. :( Thanks though, under consideration.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010

It would be a lot more beneficial if this thought-dump was sent to Apple rather than a forum.

Tell them specifically what the problems are.

TheWildShroom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
It would be a lot more beneficial if this thought-dump was sent to Apple rather than a forum.

Tell them specifically what the problems are.
Isn't that the intent of these forums? With all the negative feedback (across the forums), I am starting to feel this isn't such a good place to have open discussions.

• Haha
Reactions: Big Ron

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
Isn't that the intent of these forums? With all the negative feedback (across the forums), I am starting to feel this isn't such a good place to have open discussions.
By all means begin a discussion - the point I make is that your original post is just a series of angry statements.

Why not follow up by asking if any other users have had similar issues? Clarify the problems themselves? Even just highlighting what machine you're on would make a difference. For all I know you could be trying to run it on a potato or a G5.

TheWildShroom

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
By all means begin a discussion - the point I make is that your original post is just a series of angry statements.

Why not follow up by asking if any other users have had similar issues? Clarify the problems themselves? Even just highlighting what machine you're on would make a difference. For all I know you could be trying to run it on a potato or a G5.

We are already past "immediately." Did Apple fix it for you?
Oh, no. Searching through their self-help just goes in circles. You're right, immediately is gone...

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Oh gawd. Clean install. You have no idea (you probably do) how much I'd have to install 'fresh'. It would be an entire day of just installs. :( Thanks though, under consideration.
Had to do clean install with upgrade to Catalina Oct 2019. Yes, a day, yes it worked. Takes an hour or two to install, same with a new iPhone but still the customizing and getting working.

There's a lot of change that has happened with where and how the system is laid out. Migrating can introduce problems. Step #1 might be to use new Mac "as is" to insure everything works as it should. When troubleshooting and diagnosing - introduce one change at a time. Urban lore, wait 3-4 months for issues to surface in hardware/software, even production changes.

Ran across two sites with m1 Big Sur compatibility chart - native, Rosetta 2, version, the state of support.

There are issues with pre-11.1 with reinstalling, erasing, recovery, which is terrible, and with ability to create a second system volume - handy for testing a system. *Sometimes* just a new user account to see if a problem lies in user account, often in home ~/Library.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Oh, no. Searching through their self-help just goes in circles. You're right, immediately is gone...
I have an Intel Mac mini (late 2014) and I was having similar issues. I had a Drobo connected to it, and my external disks would randomly eject themselves. When I uninstalled the Drobo's kernel extension, everything returned to normal. Do you perhaps have some incompatible kernel extensions installed?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
run the combo update. or reset nvram, the smc. explore your options, because your issues are not universal... and sorting them out is probably more productive than venting.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
I noticed major slowness when I upgraded to Big Sur, found it very surprising. Then I decided to do something I haven't done since being a Windows user. Format and reinstall!

I wasn't too keen on this given app reinstalls etc, but went ahead anyway. After the clean install, still slow. Colour wheels while using pages. Mouse jumping around. Did a black magic speed test on my usb-c connected nvme SSD, got about 900 write and 930 read, which is normal, then it dropped to 50 for write. Restarted the test, it dropped to 30. I suspect that is probably part of the problem, whatever's going on there.

This is on a 2017 iMac 27 with 16gb ram.

Mr.PT

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2020
Hopefully you can install...my 15”MBP late 2018, won’t install even after a clean/SSD erase. Apple Support has forward to tech repair, suggesting it’s a hardware issue...

Mr.PT

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2020
Hopefully you can install...my 15”MBP late 2018, won’t install even after a clean/SSD erase. Apple Support has forward to tech repair, suggesting it’s a hardware issue...
Update: Tech repair run diagnostic tests and found no hardware issues. Runs High sierra but won’t upgrade to Big Sur or Catalina. They said not to have a clue WTH is going on and escalate it...sounds promising...Sorry for the whining but this OS mess is really...you know.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Update: Tech repair run diagnostic tests and found no hardware issues. Runs High sierra but won’t upgrade to Big Sur or Catalina. They said not to have a clue WTH is going on and escalate it...sounds promising...Sorry for the whining but this OS mess is really...you know.
really... you know: specific to you? not a universal issue? anyway, hope you get it sorted out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.