Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obsidianspider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Big Sur 11.1 seems to be really unstable with SMB3 shares. After a day or so it will disconnect and will be unable to reconnect, to the point that the whole system locks up and I have to reboot. I've tried the "restart Finder" suggestion but that doesn't help. Has anyone found a good workaroud to reliably keep SMB3 connections working?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Big Sur 11.1 seems to be really unstable with SMB3 shares. After a day or so it will disconnect and will be unable to reconnect, to the point that the whole system locks up and I have to reboot. I've tried the "restart Finder" suggestion but that doesn't help. Has anyone found a good workaroud to reliably keep SMB3 connections working?

Weird. I‘ve actually found that SMB3 has been fairly stable. Are you talking about connecting to SMB3 shares, or hosting them from Big Sur?

Catalina was a nightmare re: SMB for most of its run, but started to work reasonably well with the later updates.

obsidianspider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Weird. I‘ve actually found that SMB3 has been fairly stable. Are you talking about connecting to SMB3 shares, or hosting them from Big Sur?

Catalina was a nightmare re: SMB for most of its run, but started to work reasonably well with the later updates.
I agree that it's better than Catalina in some areas (Catalina wouldn't let me make Time Machine backups at all via SMB, whereas Big Sur seems to work fine.) I'm connecting to my Synology DS918+ NAS via SMB3. It'll be fine for a few days, but eventually when waking my iMac from sleep it will say my shares have disconnected and when I attempt to reconnect them, the whole system locks up. I can restart Finder, but then the iMac can't find the NAS at all and I'll have to reboot.

obsidianspider

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
I tried adding my NAS to my hosts file, but that also didn't seem to help. When I woke my iMac from sleep this morning I was greeted by the now familiar disconnected message and I had to reboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.