Big Thank You And Hard Drive Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Richdj, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Richdj macrumors member

Hey guys

similar to a previous post id like to say a big thanks to everyone on here, mid Jan i was going to buy a new MBP as my old Viao got stolen. just days after new years, i always said id never do vista, so it gave me the chance to move to Mac.
    I decided to wait on everyone advice that the new ones were coming, got a lot of stick from my mate who had just bought a new one about being stupid waiting, then every tuesday came and i said , its definatly tomoprrow, mac rumours says so' lol , each tuesday that passed i got more and more stick for not just going and buying it ... any way i held out and thankfully i did right, the new processor will mean a bit difference for me as i use video all the time for editing.
    shame its not a 8800 graphics, but im not complaining!!!!!
    Thanks guys for making me wait, i did nearly give up a few times but.....i played poker and one for once!!

Anyway my question is this, i want to buy an external hard drive for my new MBP, prob 500 GB or 1TB, it will be used for video mainly as i will be using FCS2
    i understand a firewire drive is better than a usb one, or a raid drive.
    Have seen some raid drives priced very highly and at present i cant a fford a lot, so im looking for the most cost effective external drive which will work for video.
    can anyone point me in the right direction,,, im in the UK by the way
    CHEERS GUYS!!!!
    Rich

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

well eSATA is faster than firewire 800 but you would need to buy an eSATA PCIMA card (slots into tray on the LHS). i would suggest a FW 800 drive.

i would recommend the OWC Mecury Elite http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/external/elite-al-pro-quad. its a great price and looks like your MacBook Pro! i got the 250 GB FW 800/FW 400/USB config and its great. has a fan so its not silent but ive read that its considered to be quieter than most external hard drives. i cant say for sure as its my only external drive.

you could get the eSATA config if you wanted but you would then need to buy the PCIMA card too of course. i cant recommend an eSATA card for you sorry.

3. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I just want to clarify that the PCIMA card you are talking about needs to utilize ExpressCard 34, else it won't fit in the MBP.

4. Richdj thread starter macrumors member