BIG TROUBLE: Accidentaly deleted system partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jeznav, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jeznav macrumors 6502

jeznav

Ok.. Long story short. I was trying to install Vista via bootcamp and basically there were two partitions in bay 1: Macintosh HD 215 gb and Bootcamp 82GB. I had trouble installing Vista on the drive so I consulted a small tutorial from support.microsoft.com regarding with an error "Windows cannot install in this system volume...etc." Anyways the climax of the problem was that I proceduraly followed a possible fix using diskpart.exe. I listed the disk, selected it, select active partition. I was told to execute the command 'clean all' which will delete all partitions on the disk. I was cautious about it and I read the built in help, so instead of executing 'clean all' I just used 'clean'. Now thinking that it only deleted the selected partition, it really didn't.. I went back to the Disk Selection only to find a "Disk 0 Unallocated space 298 GB"....Oh SHH*.. My 215GB 80% full Macintosh drive is gone gone gone!!! Well not really, the files are still there but the GPT is deleted.
    This isn't like me. I'm notorious of backing up all the time way back before I switched to mac...Just ironically not having backed up my mac files..and oh my photos and projects....sigh:(

I'm stuck as of now looking for ways to recover the GPT partition table...
    Please help.

2. ryandask8s macrumors newbie

ryandask8s

do you have an external storage device that is synced with time machine?

3. applefan69 macrumors 6502a

applefan69

lol your always careful with your files and such... but after using Windows you suddenly make a HUGE mistake. Wow i never knew windows was so bad it could make people dumb but i guess so. (no offence im not calling you dumb, just trying to make light humor of a very unfunny situation)

4. jeznav thread starter macrumors 6502

jeznav

Wish I had..

I thought it would be user friendly this time...I guess its just two OS would't cooperate....

I just found out GPT wasnt supported by Vista