Big up to small, independent software developers (re. Leopard)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mudaudio, Oct 25, 2007.

1. mudaudio macrumors member

I've recently been emailing software developers that I have purchased software from, to enquire about software compatibility with Leopard.

These businesses range from big companies (I'll name no names), to small companies like Panic (Transmit) and Lemon Dreamz (Podcast maker).

The overriding pattern - perhaps unsurprisingly (and with exception) - is that the small developer is just GREAT, and the big corporations are just plain ARROGANT.

The small developers reply within hours saying yes, their software is leopard ready; or no it's not, but here are the reasons why and here's what we're doing to fix them. The big companies say stuff like 'oh well we don't have a final version of leopard so we couldn't possibly tell you that', and 'there are no issues we know of, BUT we can't guarantee compatibility, and boy don't even ask us when we'll know for sure' - with a tone of 'how dare you even ask?' peircing through their words. And of course the very biggies, well they wont even bother replying, and if they do it will be more of the above.

If you're listening, you BIG, arrogant software makers. Get over yourselves -- Learn from the small, passionate software developers, regain a sense of 'the customer', and, god forbid, why not trying to be a little more friendly with your words?

There's a few small software companies out there who have won a paying customer for life, just by being polite, friendly and customer-centric. As for the others- well, I need your software, but I hate you for it.

rant over!
    Chris

ps. And by the way, is there really nobody in the world that knows if Dreamweaver 8 and Flash 8 work with Leopard? ;-)

2. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Yeah its amazing.. big companies simply dont train their staff that a sympathetic and understanding tone to a customers problem can go miles.

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We don't have a final version of Leopard so we couldn't possibly tell you that – there are no issues we know of, BUT we can't guarantee compatibility.

Don't even ask us when we'll know for sure. ;)

Seriously though, the smaller companies have to look after their customers in a way that larger organisations perhaps don't have too. There are a lot of 'small' developers out there putting out some really great stuff and I think it's important that we support them in their efforts.

4. mudaudio thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate it must be hard for big companies to keep the sense of 'small' in their operations. But still.

Actually there was one company I remember (who again will remain nameless) that I approached with a business proposition. They were incredibly friendly, going so far as to request demo's of our work etc, in response to my ideas.

It was only after realising - via the email address behind the name - that I was actually talking to a 3rd party customer service company, training in the art of being nice... There was never any hope that this company was genuinely interested. They were just stringing me along long enough to keep me happy!

not sure what's worse really. immediate nastiness, or fake niceness! :confused: