Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diversion

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Jacksonville, Florida
There's no way to downgrade within iOS 5. You can downgrade to pre-iOS 5 firmware but for anything iOS 5 or above, it's impossible right now.

Apple changed the way they sign their firmware starting with iOS 5. The devs haven't found a way to circumvent this yet.

Ahh! That makes sense now thanks!

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
Edit: or is this a new ios5 thing? Can't downgrade to an older ios5 version with blobs anymore?

Exactly! In iOS the blobs were identical each time you installed the same version. So when you downgrade to 4.3.3, TinyUmbrella pretends to be Apple still signing it. With iOS 5 the phone adds a random number of sorts, so you cannot replay the blobs. On an IP4 you can use the limera1n exploit to install an old version of iOS5 with the blobs already written (including the same random number used last time), and when booting the phone will believe it has already been signed. No such exploit has been found on the 4S, but if found it will make blobs useful. For that reason (and because there is nothing to loose), optimists save them.

heyyitzmelissa

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2012
I don't understand, why are blobs useless to save on ipad2/4S? I saved my 4.3.3 blobs so I can downgrade from any 5 or higher version back down to 4.3.3 on my iPad2. I've already tested and verified that it works perfect.

Why wouldn't a person want to upgrade to 5.0.1 and then save their blobs with TinyUmbrella so you can do a DFU restore back to 5.0.1 at any point of time?

Edit: or is this a new ios5 thing? Can't downgrade to an older ios5 version with blobs anymore?

APTicket

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Some people are saying to downgrade from 9A406 to 9A405 and some are saying it doesn't matter. My 4S is factory unlocked so I don't care about the unlock so should I or shouldn't I downgrade? :confused:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
if you are factory unlocked it doesn't matter

only matters if you are locked to a carrier.

9A406 upgrades the BB even further.
For unlock you want to be on a BB as low as possible.

The 9A405 is lower BB hence important for unlockers.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
if you are factory unlocked it doesn't matter

only matters if you are locked to a carrier.

9A406 upgrades the BB even further.
For unlock you want to be on a BB as low as possible.

The 9A405 is lower BB hence important for unlockers.

Ok great thanks. I just wanted to make sure before Apple stopped signing 9A405.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Some people are saying to downgrade from 9A406 to 9A405 and some are saying it doesn't matter. My 4S is factory unlocked so I don't care about the unlock so should I or shouldn't I downgrade? :confused:

If you're factory unlocked, it doesn't matter at all. I'd probably go with 9A406 since it supposedly fixed some weird SIM bug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.